Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Utter confusion about trans coolers

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i believe they changed around 1998
i know vxii was deep pan but believe vxi and vt was shallow pan

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
interesting, good to know

jaikai

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sl wagon
Our VT is shallow pan. Easy to pick the difference by just looking under. Ribs or no ribs.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yup, or even easier on your back, take the dip stick out and read it :)

Last edited:

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
So that's a No. Since I meant did you remove a standalone cooler like the one I have had from new.
So, it must have be added with all tow bars at dealerships ( and a lot of VT's have towbars , thus my confusion at the self serve wreckers).

The original one in front of the radiator had been replaced several years earlier and I removed that one when fitting the powered cooler.
334,000 ks and still using the original auto transmission but she is a series 2 and has the deep pan as standard. Still pulls the camper fine and planing a few more trips away when the six cooler months start. Plan to keep the powered cooler when we use the VX as our Hot Rod donor vehicle, will have a tow bar but not for towing a camper just the bicycle rack.

Attachments

• Deep Pan 1.JPG
    Deep Pan 1.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 227
  • VX Commodore Auto - Trans Cover with Outlets.JPG
    VX Commodore Auto - Trans Cover with Outlets.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 106

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
My VS had a Factory fitted towbar and transmission cooler, when i bought it. I removed the towbar pretty much straight away after buying it but kept the cooler, which bypassed the one in the radiator altogether. I later found out that it is also the same brand that supply B&M because when had the motor and transmission rebuilt i wanted to get a larger cooler. i released that there the same brand beside the fittings. the new B&M one bought has 1/2 threads, and then i just needed fitting to suit the rubber hose. whereas the factory type had 5/16 barbs already on the cooler

i upgraded to the larger cooler on the VS running the same setup, and bypassed the radiator cooler(to prevent the issues someone mentioned in a above reply) just in case. i then fitted the old VS cooler which is still working fine to my VY sedan and bypassed the radiators internal transmission cooler. im will be upgrading this to the larger type cooler when the VY sedan gets its new engine and transmission.

my VY one tonner has a 2100kg towbar from factory and doesnt run a external cooler at all. When i was at the wreckers the other day no VY's that had factory towbars has any external coolers either

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The later models seem to have dual pass coolers. My VX does. Trans goes in one side out the other. Then there is a hard line tying the bottom together.