Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V T SRS airbag light stays on.

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
Ive had an issue with the srs light coming on beeping three times ,stays on for a while after three or so kms goes out,but reappears once car is turned off.I have heard that the terminal conectors leading to the pretensioners (green with metal clips) and some of the other conectors beside seat can bring up an error if they have moisture or corrosion on any of there contacts. I removed both battery terminals ,left for a day or two removed seats,inspected terminal conectors,one leadind to side airbag was corroded ,cleaned that, used conductive carbon grease to lube contacts,checked all leads etc no problems anywhere.Purchased SRS diagnostic scanning software but Software wont connect up to car. my question is,if the ABS computer module is faulty,(only the srs light is staying on) will it prevent me from connecting up to car to diagnose??

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if the abs has a short you may not be able to connect scan tool
also be advised there are not many scan tools that can connect to pre ve commodores

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
if the abs has a short you may not be able to connect scan tool
also be advised there are not many scan tools that can connect to pre ve commodores
Thanks for advice regarding scan tool, one I have is from Envious Customs, SRS Diagnostics developed to connect to
VT, s such as mine which is a 1999. Saw a video of abs module being replaced, bloke said if the module was faulty it wouldn't let you connect diagnostic scanners, ie would not connect, just wasn't sure if this was fact, cheers.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Had a similar problem in my VX GTS and yes, it ended up being a faulty SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module). The module is easy to replace as it's located below the centre console and can be accessed once you remove the console. Best bet is to remove the console and record the identification information for the module so that you are sure to get the correct replacement. I replaced mine with a second-hand unit and it worked fine. Check out the instructions attached below. The SDM is shown on the bottom right of the diagram.

VT-VX Centre Console Remove.jpg

Last edited:

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
Thanks for info regarding SDM,if i have to replace the( Sensor Diagnostic Module) are there any specific steps needed to disconnect the module safley and reconnect it ????. Of course i am assuming here remove both battery terminals wait for a while to discharge any capacitors etc ,cheers.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Here you are:

Attachments

• VT-VX Replace SDM.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 654

Perkies

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Had a smililar problem in my Vt berlina but srs light stayed on and didn’t go out like yours did. You have to be careful with scan tools a lot won’t work in the v6 models and will only work on the v8 models. Make sure your horns working if it isn’t it generally means it’s your clock spring. I went through 4 clock springs in mine 2 air bags and a pretensioner trying to get my light off. I just thought I was given dodgy parts. So I took it to an auto elec (which I should’ve done in the first place to pin point my problem...) turns out my cluster had been changed and the computer thought it had 6 airbags when the car only had 4. Not sure if it helps at all but could be your problem

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
Does anyone know if Holden can bench test the ABS computer module without having the whole car there??,i suspect it is the abs module but dont know for a fact .As i can't connect my scanner to the car ECU ,ie wont let me connect up ,wont even detect ignition on and scanner is defiantly made for the VT V6 with ALDL cable,im thinking i mite have to bite the bullet and take the car to holden and see if they can tell me what the problem is and where at great expense.

Buck

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vt 3.8
Had a smililar problem in my Vt berlina but srs light stayed on and didn’t go out like yours did. You have to be careful with scan tools a lot won’t work in the v6 models and will only work on the v8 models. Make sure your horns working if it isn’t it generally means it’s your clock spring. I went through 4 clock springs in mine 2 air bags and a pretensioner trying to get my light off. I just thought I was given dodgy parts. So I took it to an auto elec (which I should’ve done in the first place to pin point my problem...) turns out my cluster had been changed and the computer thought it had 6 airbags when the car only had 4. Not sure if it helps at all but could be your problem

Hey I've got the same problem.. Is it possible to just disconnect air bag power (fuse) or something just to get the light to turn off.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The light needs to be reset to turn it off, nothing else will do it, apart from removing the globe, which I definitely do not recommend, besides you still get the chimes. Even if you find out what the problem is and fix it, the light will still stay on until it is reset.