Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V2 Monaro spare wheel.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My space saver spare (bicycle) wheel/tyre is 15 years old, and today I enquired about its ‘use by date’, and if I could get a real tyre fitted to the 15x4 steel rim.
Short answers are, its condition is OK as it is not steel belted, so no need to replace it, and there is no current real tyre in a size to fit the rim. Anything bigger will not fit in the boot wheel well.
I usually chuck a full size spare in the boot when I go for a longish trip, but that leaves SFA space for other items.

I’m curious what other owners of Monaros have done regarding this inconvenience.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You should be able to buy another tyre the same size as your space saver spare....As for use by date...6 years maximum before they become questionable for use on the road.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I can buy another space saver tyre to replace what is there, but don’t want to do that.
I was after a ‘real’ tyre, (eg 155/80x15,) but without driving to Sydney, I don’t know how it would fit in the hole, and on the rim.
The present tyre, regardless of age, I consider ‘questionable for use on the road’ anyway, it looks like something off a dirt bike.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i recently used mine for the first time, it was fine. Tyre place actually put it on the vehicle and they didn't say anything good bad or otherwise about it.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
My Kingswood still had it's original spare. So does my Monaro. If she holds air and isn't perished it will get you out of the poo.

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
My space saver is now about 15 years old and has spent practically every single minute of that time sitting in the spare wheel well, as far as I can tell. Out of the sunlight, so not exposed to UV radiation, or road use, I'm convinced that if I need to use it, it will do the job for me.

Last edited: