Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 5 speed v6 wanting to convert to a v6 ecotec

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
i know there a few threads out there about this conversion.

im wanting to do it my self my vn is a series one with the t5 gearbox. wondering what im going to need to do to run to ecotec with my vn ecu and if anything needs to happen on the gearbox side of things

thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Memcal needs to be retuned (some people on here do it by mail order). You can use the VN ECU, but you will be limited to bank injection and possibly a few loom issues. Delcohacking has info on how to convert an auto VS Ecotec ECU to manual to run the T5 VSS and a few other wiring diagrams to do with manual loom conversions.

The flywheel apparently has to be mirror balanced to a VS flex plate.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The biggest headache will be the flywheel as the s1 VN flywheel will not fit on an ecotec engine so you will need to source another to suit and get it balanced to suit.

Using the VN 808 you will need to drill and tap into the plenum to fit the Buick style MAT (manifold air temp sensor) and fit Buick engine temp sensor and change the fuel line fittings (ecotec has the push on style fittings which won't work on yours). Engine loom is fairly easy to adapt but you will need to lengthen one or 2 wires for the sensors.

you will also need to get a new tune as the Buick tune has to much timing for the ecotec.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Yeah tuning is easy enough a guy can custom tune to suit.