Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 6speed AUTO fluid check/top up

goldcoastr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve wagon
Hi I have Ve v6 6 speed which users dex VI fluid and doesn't have the fluid dipstick in engine bay

I need to know is there anyway to check the fluid level and also top it up yourself just by say jack rear car up and undo the gear box oil bolt, need check its not going spill fluid out trying to check or top it up myself

I already have a custom oil sump with sump bolt welded in to install soon so I can drain te gearbox myself, want to know is there anyway to install a top up or dipstick line on the Automatic 6 speed gear box

motaba

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV REDLINE
theres heaps of info on that stuff but in short.......and if its the 6L50 / 6L80 / 6L90

you can install a dip stick on them, ebay sells a nice braided line and stick, if you search "6L80" , although ive never done it

if u drop the pan and drain that oil only it will be 5.7 litres, always drain oil at around 50 degrees oil temp, (use engineering mode on your dash)

dont for get the whole gearbox takes 10.6 L

if you simply drain oil out of the pan and pump the torque converter its 9.9L

how ever much oil u drain, you replace by using a filler plug on top of the tranny on the passengers side, (V6 may be on the drivers side, not sure but you cant miss it) its a rubber bung,

install the pan bolts to 9Nm

nows heres the fun part, with the car level and raised, run the motor and bring the oil up to 50 degrees and shift the gear lever through all the gears and back to park again,

now get under the car while its still running and undo the drain bolt on the pan,

if no oil drips out it needs more filling,

if it pisses out let it drain untill it comes to a drip, then tighten the bolt .......9 to 12 Nm

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
if you read the Owner's Manual, Holden discourage you from tampering with it.
Apparently, a lot of modern automatics are not user-serviceable.
I'm booking mine in for a service, as soon as I find someone I have confidence in, to do it properly, without ripping me off.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
don't bother is what I would say,i used to have a aurion with the 6speed auto and you can not check the oil or anything,was told by Toyota they are good for 160k before they do anything to them,i didn't like that idea so got rid of it and bought a 05 ss
if its slipping or playing up take it to a good mechanic and they can have a look etc

good luck

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
yeh mate, put car in P, hoist up, open filler plug on tranny-fluid should be just not flowing out.