Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Aftermarket exhaust, making it quieter.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
HAHA thats pretty fun, wonder how they thought that up?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Found it, quote from the website:

"The car is deathly quiet and sounds stock - you can't tell its a modified exhaust and yet is 2.5" straight through. The car (4G93T powered) makes 200kW at the front wheels on pump 95."

exhaust2cc1.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thats an easy car to make an exhaust for, straight with one bend.

Man my thread went sideways, LOL.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Sorry :p

How about a 3" rear muffler and a single hotdog as well as your front muffler? Id think that should tone it down a fair bit.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Don't know if there is room for a muffler and a hotdog on the rear. I'm thinking just a second muffler on the rear, gotta be quieter than a hotdog?

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ok I run a sort of 3" / 2.5" hybrid system on a v6. The trick is to merge the gas flows BEFORE the cat. So you need a single cat, a single front muffler and a single resi. This is actually a reasonably quiet system. Full system is Extractors into y pipe into 3" Hi perf Cat, into 2.5" muffler into 2.5" resi.

3" is fine for the hotter gases. As they cool, they condense so the smaller 2.5 works well at the reare end.

Single 3" systems are fine for Supercharged / Turbocharged applications. Over exhausted for NA though. When the budget frees up enough to go FI I will replace the 2.5" sections with a 3".

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ok so I visited a few local exhausts places today.

Place 1: 2 hours work at $77/h plus $35 for a resi for the back = $300. WTF. Either he meant $135 for the resi or MATHS FAIL. I even asked if he meant $200 or $300 and he said $300

Place 2: The cats will hang substantially lower than what it is now, so go a single 100cpi cat and retain your 2.5" system (or go the 3" system to lose street torque but gain high rpm power). $325 to supply and install cat and about $100 to install the 3" system if I want. OK so illegal here, with a fine that costs more than my car is worth. Also I can't see how the cats will hang about 2" lower when they will be about the same height as the extractor pipes??.

Can anyone recommend an exhaust place in Brisbane that won't try and up-sell or rip me off.

Ok I run a sort of 3" / 2.5" hybrid system on a v6. The trick is to merge the gas flows BEFORE the cat. So you need a single cat, a single front muffler and a single resi. This is actually a reasonably quiet system. Full system is Extractors into y pipe into 3" Hi perf Cat, into 2.5" muffler into 2.5" resi.

3" is fine for the hotter gases. As they cool, they condense so the smaller 2.5 works well at the reare end.

The second one option sound like what you said. Onlu I'm guessing with maybe a good 200cpi cat.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
if your worried about illegal exhaust, even if you had a stock exhaust you probably wont past an emissions test with a cam. iirc a few yrs ago somone did an emissions test on a stock as a rock ls1 and it didnt even pass....