Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Aftermarket exhaust, making it quieter.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I have a V6 with a normal 2.5" exhaust, single through muffler and resi on the back, and I have just bought myself a new exhaust, from what I can gather its a Cobra Performance 3" system with single straight-through muffler. I would like to make this exhaust quieter than my current one.

This is the exhaust I bought, http://cobraperformanceexhaust.com.au/doc/VT-VY_V8_Sedan.pdf, twin magnaflow 91006M cats, but the rear is straight pipe, no resi or anything. So possibly put a muffler on the rear too? Any advice would be helpful.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
3" is pretty big for a V6.

You should easily be able to get a muffler fitted to the rear at any exhaust shop. Possibly you could find the 3" clamp type muffler and you could do it yourself with a hacksaw and C clamps.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
3" for a cammed V6, a few people have said it will be alright.

It is a LS1 system so I suspect the cat pipes will be the wrong size to hook up to my extractor, and I don't have a welder.

I'm going to talk to my local exhaust shop tomorrow and see what they recommend, but I also want to know what people here think.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I would still think that a single 3" would be too big for a cammed ecotec! What other mods do you have and how aggressive is the cam?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A few other minor mods, and the cams not that aggressive, on last dyno run it made about 150rwkw.

Meh the exhaust was cheap, and it allows me to run dual cats, which it came with. I paid $315 (bless you eBay) for the whole exhaust, the cats plus LS1 pacemaker extractors, I then sold the extractors for $300, so really I paid $15 for this exhaust. I'm willing to give it a crack.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
A few other minor mods, and the cams not that aggressive, on last dyno run it made about 150rwkw.

Meh the exhaust was cheap, and it allows me to run dual cats, which it came with. I paid $315 (bless you eBay) for the whole exhaust, the cats plus LS1 pacemaker extractors, I then sold the extractors for $300, so really I paid $15 for this exhaust. I'm willing to give it a crack.

Hahaha got to love ebay, I just bought a powerdyne supercharger for $855 postage included, it just needs a filter.
Definantly give it a crack as for $15 plus some more it wont hurt!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hahaha got to love ebay, I just bought a powerdyne supercharger for $855 postage included, it just needs a filter.
Definantly give it a crack as for $15 plus some more it wont hurt!

You bastard LOL. For the VT V6? I how offically hate you :p LOL.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hahaha I know that's how I felt when bidding ended, but I contacted him and he held onto it for me for about 2 weeks, I paid and within 3 and a half days of paying it was here lol

Yeah mate it's for the VT, it will soon make enough power to match the suspension setup, then it will be onto the brakes.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well have fun drifting up those hill climbs!

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Not that its any use to you but I saw some Jap car while surfing the net years ago, the whole exhaust was 2.5 or 3" hotdogs welded together. Apparently it was pretty quiet and flowed like there was no mufflers on it.