Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Box into a 5.0L? can i do it?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Hey guy's, im iterested in buying a VR Caprice. it is mechanically sound, but the gear box has problems.

My V6 Wagon has a new box in it. and im wanting to transfer the box into the Caprice........

I know it wont be as strong. but can i do it ??????????

what will i need to do it???????????

thanks guys

Assuming we are talking about a manual gearbox, it can be done, but as already said will be alot of mucking around. To fit the v6 T5 box to a v8 you will need a v8 bellhousing, a v8 clutch fork, a v8 clutch cable and the splined input shaft on the gearbox will have to be shortened by approx 50mm. If the caprice is an auto you'll also need a manual ecu, wiring harness and the front yoke on the tailshaft is different too. I think thats the majority of the differences.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
V6 and V8 engines have different bolt patterns for the bellhousing. the V8 uses the chev turbo pattern and the V6 (3800/ecotec, not sure about alloytec) use a buick pattern for the bellhousing. so in short, to change a transmission from a V6 to a V8 you are going to have to change the bellhousing at the very least

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
So does anyone know if the auto in he V8 & the V6 are the same ??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage