Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Conversion For Vb To Vk

stuey.89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina 5.7L
Hey man im actually planning on doing the same thing but with an ls1. This guide looks like it should be a pretty
similar process... am I right? (Hope so lol)

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
Anyone out there with a V6 conversion can tell me what radiator cap pressure they are running. My VK has an Ecotec installed and has been very reliable apart from some coolant leakage from the rear of the manifold.
Now that the manifold gasket has been replaced, I am finding that my standard 105 kpa radiator cap is not holding coolant pressure. I know the v6 requires 135 kpa pressure cap. If I change to the higher pressure radiator cap, will my radiator (v8 VK) and heater core handle the extra pressure ?

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
Hey man im actually planning on doing the same thing but with an ls1. This guide looks like it should be a pretty
similar process... am I right? (Hope so lol)

rails different from vt onwards so k frame wont fit. easy for you they make engine mounts for ls1 into vb-vs (v8s vn-vs).
on vb-vk v8 and straight 6 k frame are the same! wiring side of things simlar but a little more complicated. and if i rember correctly sometimes the starter gets relocated to other side. places like cattleman rod shop do hole kits witch SHOULD make a little easier

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Anyone out there with a V6 conversion can tell me what radiator cap pressure they are running. My VK has an Ecotec installed and has been very reliable apart from some coolant leakage from the rear of the manifold.
Now that the manifold gasket has been replaced, I am finding that my standard 105 kpa radiator cap is not holding coolant pressure. I know the v6 requires 135 kpa pressure cap. If I change to the higher pressure radiator cap, will my radiator (v8 VK) and heater core handle the extra pressure ?

Ive been using a 105kpa cap for a few years without a problem, i didnt risk the heater core not being able to handle the extra pressure.

shaun00002

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vc
anyone no a place in vic that can do a v6 engine conversion for my vc sick of driving jap cars

vnitup

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 vh commodore wagon
I've been using a 135kpa radiator cap in my vh v6 for a year now with no heater core drama. I do have a minor issue with the temperature and fuel gauge though. they both seem to read about 1/4 higher than where they should be. I know this because one day they were reading correctly, then I hit a bump and they jumped a quarter higher. Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas on what it could be? Cheers

Last edited:

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Mine does the same thing but has done it from day one. I assumed it was to do with the sender units for both gauges not being compatible. When my fuel gauge reads 1/4 it's very close to empty. Mine is a track car so usually only has about 20 litres in the tank. I have also fitted an electric water pump with a digital controller which I set to operate between 80 and 85 degrees. The temp gauge sits a whisker above half way. Prior to the electric pump the temp gauge was almost touching the red zone before the fan came on. I don't use the V6 radiatoer or header tank, I have a VN V8 radiator adapted to fit the VC in conjunction with the origianl expansion tank. I am running a 1.1 bar cap (about 110kpa). The engine produces about 250 hp@wheels and idles at 1200 rpm and never overheats even before the electric pump.

vnitup

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 vh commodore wagon
Anyone got any idea? Does anyone else's temp and fuel gauges read correct?

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Hey all, bit of a thread dig, but had a few qs on the whole conversion thing. Donor car is a VSII l67 statesman.

Just wondering what everyone has done in way of airconditioning? I've got a donor model vc, same as my car, with factory ac in it, so I'm wondering whether it's best to use that and try and figure out the headaches that come with space in the engine bay or did you manage to use all the modern stuff?

Also, in regards to the bcm, is it possible to use any of the central locking or stuff ffrom my donor car? Or just throw it away and get an aftermarket kit? If I did decide to go crazy and wire the whole bcm in, could I ignore some of the extras I don't want and just not wire them?

And, I have an sle dash to go in my car, how does it go with the oil pressure sender signal from the v6? From memory the v6 is a constant current just to turn on the warning light at low pressure yes?

Cheers all.