Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

karter13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 1987 commodor executive
Hi would u no of a stronger ie maby forged crankshaft for my 1989 vn v6 auto. Many thanks steve

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What are you intending to do with it? The factory crank is fairly strong to begin with, I know of one guy that's got to be making around the 600hp on a stock bottom end V6 engine.

There is a stroker crankshaft available for it, not sure how strong they are.

HICOMPVN

Wanting That Lil Bit More
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR SII Commodore
i got a quick question.... i would like to change out my VR s2 V6 auto crank. Can i use a VS-VX eco V6 Auto crank.

my girl has thrown a con bearing, and i was thinking it would be easier and cheaper to use a crank out of the eco, to put in my buick s2 with new bearings.

So is from what you guys have been saying, buick s2 auto cranks are identical to the eco auto's... so saying that my above question would be yes.. can some one please confirm..

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the balancing would be way off due to the lighter ecotec internals compared to buick cheaper to just fit a $150 2nd handy engine and go again

Turbovg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vg v6 ute
I hate to be that guy and jump on a thread 5 years old but ive got a question that kind of relates to this thread but i cant find the exact answer im after.

ive got 2 buick 3.8’s both series 2 one from a vr and i got one out of a vn street stock which I assume is originally out of a vn if that matters. the one is the vn has been rebuilt at some point but i blew both head gaskets recently and further investigation found really bad deep pitting in a couple of bores.

the vn block has 20 thou over acl pistons standard ALC rods, the threads for the flywheel bolts are a mess in that block so can i get away with using the vr crank with pistons and rods from the vn block with no issues balance wise?

Last edited:

Harry03

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6, vx v6, ve v6
Would a vr crankshaft go into a series 1 vn engine?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Would a vr crankshaft go into a series 1 vn engine?

I'm pretty sure it would, you would have to check if the rear main is the same, or swap over the rear main plate.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No seal plate on the back of the VN block like there is on the ecotec.
20240214_121334.jpg