Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
My old shorty?? lol

No.

Yours, well it's still work in progress Nick.

I will send you some pics when it's closer to assembly.

Cheers

Deek

ToxicVn

Toxic_Vn_Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Station Wagon
I wanted to convert my S1 auto to manual and was told that all i needed was a series 2 conversion. thank you for supplying this info, I ended up just buying a series 2 VP and gave me missus the S1. lol seemed less expensive and time consuming. ha ha

deanos70

Reaction score
Where as earlier ecotec engines that had a auto trans don't have the dowel pin holes drilled. So if you want to put a manual box behind one of these auto cranks you will need to have it drilled for the dowels or run the flywheel without the dowels.

Some have had no problems doing this where as other have had bolts come loose or snap. Your choice. :)

Cheers

Deek

im a bit confused as the auto flexplate has no dowel pins it just 8 bolts, im just wondering why the manual needs the 2 dowel pins put in, if the bolts on the manual could come loose, couldn't the auto flexplate bolts do the same ? there would be just as much weight with the torque converter on it as a flywheel with pressure and clutch plate on ?

Does the exedy solid flywheel conversion kit have only 8 bolt holes in it , or does it have the extra 2 holes for dowel pins

the pictures posted by you OZ38 do you know what model engines they are from

Illuminatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SERIES 2 V6 T5
Awesome info... thanks... I need a S2 VP-VR motor and fly to suit ;)

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
can anyone tell me the standard side of the crank for the main journals and the bigend journals. i want to check mine..

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Big ends
Min Standard
2.2487in / 57.117mm
Max Standard
2.2495in / 57.137mm
Main journal
min standard
2.4988in / 63.47mm
Max sfandard
2.4998in / 63.495mm

If yours are near the min standard i suggest regrind or go the plus 1's

Last edited:

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
im a bit confused as the auto flexplate has no dowel pins it just 8 bolts, im just wondering why the manual needs the 2 dowel pins put in, if the bolts on the manual could come loose, couldn't the auto flexplate bolts do the same ? there would be just as much weight with the torque converter on it as a flywheel with pressure and clutch plate on ?

Does the exedy solid flywheel conversion kit have only 8 bolt holes in it , or does it have the extra 2 holes for dowel pins

the pictures posted by you OZ38 do you know what model engines they are from
The dowel pins were added to the manual crankshaft later by GMH when it was found vibration would work the bolt heads loose on the flywheels of the Ecotec engine. Dual mass flywheel & clutch weigh about 20 kgs. The flex plate & torque convertor might weigh as much in a auto set up, but the torque convertor also acts as a big vibration dampner. So probably will never see the same harshness & vibrations that a manual does.

Exedy / Xtreme / Chevtorque / CI /NPC / etc etc FLYWHEELS all have the dowel holes drilled into them if they are to suit late VS (ecotec V6) through to VY V6.

Edit: Pic of crank ends were from a VT V6 auto & a brand new unused V6 crank.

Cheers

Deek

Last edited:

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
According to this info: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6-development-modification/18486-ecotec-auto-manual.html
and other information I have found, the auto and manual ecotecs ARE differently balanced. Therefore even if you use an ecotec flywheel, you STILL need to get it mirror balanced. I have been driving around with a misbalanced engine for 7 months! This information needs to be in the original post!

Did you change from a n/a to n/a V6, or did you convert a super6 to manual ?

It aways pays to have all flywheels mirror balanced to whatever came off the new engine. Whether thats a flexplate or another flywheel, as there maybe a small difference that needs correcting.

Cheers

Deek