Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

deanos70

Reaction score
so when changing from an auto to a manual, can dowel holes be drilled into the auto crank and dowel pins fitted, or will this mess with balance, just thinking of the issue of the extra support of the pins.

the alignement holes on the flexplate and flywheel should be in the same spot ????

thanks

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
so when changing from an auto to a manual, can dowel holes be drilled into the auto crank and dowel pins fitted, or will this mess with balance, just thinking of the issue of the extra support of the pins.

the alignement holes on the flexplate and flywheel should be in the same spot ????

thanks
Yes the dowel holes can be drilled into a auto crank, but the alignment will need to be done correctly. We used a hardened centre from a dual mass flywheel which we cut open. This was bolted to the end of the crankshaft using all the bolt holes. All the holes were aligned over the crankshaft holes & then bolts tightened down. The dowel holes in the centre were already drilled through so using a slightly smaller drill than the dowel pin size we drill to the required depth. By memory the dowel pins are metric 8mm so I think we used 5/16" or something close. Drilling with a 8mm drill will be to loose a fit.
We test drilled into a few bits of steel first to get the size right.

This wont mess with balance.

The alignment holes on a flexplate & flywheel are in the same locations yes.

Remember if it is a s/c V6 that the manaul flywheel is going onto then the flywheel needs to be mirror balanced to the s/c V6 flexplate.
If it is a n/a V6 that the manual flywheel is going onto then the flywheel should be mirror balanced to its flexplate (if it isn't already suited).

Cheers

Deek

redvsberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series II berlina
Vs v6 project

I have a s2 ecotec and a t5 gearbox in my garage now i need three things answered before i pull everything apart what flywheel should i buy and is a series one the same as a series two cause they went getrag and dual mass in s2

marks adapters sell the flywheels to suit which one suits my application ?

Holden V6 Parts

and how much is it to get a health check on a gearbox?

or if anyone has a better sugestion of wer to buy or what flywheel to buy please fire away cause i want to make sure i do this right

THANKS

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a s2 ecotec and a t5 gearbox in my garage now i need three things answered before i pull everything apart what flywheel should i buy and is a series one the same as a series two cause they went getrag and dual mass in s2

marks adapters sell the flywheels to suit which one suits my application ?

Holden V6 Parts

and how much is it to get a health check on a gearbox?

or if anyone has a better sugestion of wer to buy or what flywheel to buy please fire away cause i want to make sure i do this right

THANKS
Get a Chevtorque flywheel. - 08 94932769
You will have no problems with that.

Cheers

Deek

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
n/a v6 auto to n/a v6 manual.

Mal Wood will provide me with a billet flywheel 'with the correct balance'. But doesn't say whether the manual & auto cranks are differently balance as I discussed above. I'm still finding it difficult to get any definitive information from a non-forum source.

It would be interesting to get feedback from people who have done the conversion without mirror-balancing to see if they had vibration.
SORRY for the lack of an answer as I didn't notice your question.

The manual & auto engine cranks are all externally balanced. So basically the crankshafts alone are the same balance. You should be able to take a flexplate off a n/a auto & bolt on a flywheel from a n/a manual of the same model without affecting the factory balance.

Different story with a super6 engine as their flexplates are weighted a little different to a n/a engine due to conrod & piston weight differences. So if fitting a manual flywheel it needs to be mirror balanced to the super6 flexplate.

Cheers

Deek

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
does anyone know the size of an 8 bolt V6 FLexplate bolt??
Even just the length of the thread would be fine

Ckeers Pub

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i remember it's a fine thread with a shallow head. it's one of the few bolts i buy direct from Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"

Ckeers Pub

The 8 bolts for Flexplate/Flywheel to crankshaft are a corse thread ( 5/16" UNC I think) and manual bolts are longer than Autstrumatic bolts.

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride

Ckeers Pub

For the flexplate they are 5/16 UNC (18 TPI) x 5/8" (16mm) long.
Also the stock GMH ones are a torque to yeild bolt (use them once only).

Cheers

Deek

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
:bang: sorry mate, i was thinking of the early VN manual flywheel with only 6 bolts

for future reference they are a 7/16 UNF bolt (20 TPI) x 1" (25mm) with a shallow head

Last edited: