Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Crankshaft Info

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
Would I be able to get it balanced the same as my flex plate and do you have any idea of where I can get one

Thanks
Yes.

You could talk to this bloke as he sell new ones to suit as ChevTorque flywheels for the ecotec V6

ChevTorque V6 Conversions in W.A. - (08) 9493 2769
Speak to Adrian May.

Cheers

Deek

vpcalais6

F#%ING [P] PLATER
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
V6 manual vp Calais
Thanks for that mate

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
crank swap

so the bolt patterns have been ironed out, but is it possible to swap VR S2 crank with an ecotec crank? i know for a fact that the oil pump drive is the same between them as i have a VS double row timing chain in my VR. and the engine is NOT an ecotec..... my "thinking out loud" asks if an ecotec crank would fit in the 3800 block...??

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
I'm looking at doing a VS SII Ecotec auto-manual conversion... everywhere i read... VN this... VN that... Of the little info i can find on VS... If i get a getrag, and get all the bits required... am i right in saying:

the only thing i need to do/alter, to make it fit is get the crank flange drilled and 2 dowels put in (To stop the 8 bolts being sheared off) ?

If i am right in saying this, does the crank flange come off the crank? because if it does, i can take it somewhere to get it done.

Also, what exactly is "mirror balanced"?? I'm having trouble making sence of what it is? and if its needed on a VS SII ecotec? (again... VN this... VN that....)

oh... i know about the different spigot bush, starter motor and flywheel, i know about the manual ecu/loom and auto inhibitor problem, so yeah... im asking PURELY how to "physically" make it fit...

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm looking at doing a VS SII Ecotec auto-manual conversion... everywhere i read... VN this... VN that... Of the little info i can find on VS... If i get a getrag, and get all the bits required... am i right in saying:

the only thing i need to do/alter, to make it fit is get the crank flange drilled and 2 dowels put in (To stop the 8 bolts being sheared off) ?

If i am right in saying this, does the crank flange come off the crank? because if it does, i can take it somewhere to get it done.

Also, what exactly is "mirror balanced"?? I'm having trouble making sence of what it is? and if its needed on a VS SII ecotec? (again... VN this... VN that....)

oh... i know about the different spigot bush, starter motor and flywheel, i know about the manual ecu/loom and auto inhibitor problem, so yeah... im asking PURELY how to "physically" make it fit...
For starters..
No the crank flange does not come off.
The added dowel pins are what GMH did to the crank & flywheels of the ecotec V6 after the VS manual model (VT,VX,VY).
So really you could get away without drilling for the dowels (others have).
The VS manual flywheel will bolt straight up (just make sure it suits a Getrag Clutch Pressure plate).

Mirror balance just means you give the engine balancer people your flexplate off you present engine, with your new flywheel. They then just copy (mirror) the balance from flexplate settings onto the new flywheel. So the new flywheel suits the engine balance.

Cheers

Deek

Last edited:

Rusty-Tim

Rusty-Tim
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute, VN wag, VR sed, VN sed, HX Tonner, HA Viva
So another kind of related question. I have just blown up engine bigtime in VN series 1 manual. I have a spare series 1 auto. Is it possible to just put the manual crank and therefore flywheel etc in the spare auto engine? Do they run the same size big ends and crank journals, front seals and rear seals etc??

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
The added dowel pins are what GMH did to the crank & flywheels of the ecotec V6 after the VS manual model (VT,VX,VY).

The crank/flywheel dowels were also fitted to a series 2 VS manual crank. Well, atleast they were in my factory manual anyway ;)

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
The crank/flywheel dowels were also fitted to a series 2 VS manual crank. Well, atleast they were in my factory manual anyway ;)
Yes your correct. I should have said after the VS T5 model. As the Getrag equipped Ecotec engined models all have the dowels in crank.

Cheers

Deek

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3

so are the dowels on the flywheel or the crank? if they are supposed to be on the crank....u just bolt up ur flywheel, and mark where the dowels holes are to be drilled with a texta thru the dowel holes on the flywheel.
if the dowels are on the flywheel, use a piece of thick paper or cardboard and spear over dowels in flywheel, mark and drill/cutout bolt holes....transfer to crank, mark and drill.

turbo_vp_v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 3.8
Will the manual loom from a series 1 vn plug into a 92 vp. have a series 1 vn manual that i want to put into my vp.