Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 ecotec camshaft

96vsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs acclaim v6 ecotec with a getrag
Hey guys what's the best mace engineering cam to use with stock heads and valves

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stage 2, keeping in mind you will likely need new valve springs regardless of cam upgrade.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Depends on what you’re after. I’ve got their comp cam stage 2 and it meets my needs. Still drivable around town, in cold weather, tricky enough for my learner driver in the family, and gives a solid throttle response over 2,000rpm like when dropping back to 3rd for an overtake or accelerating up to 100km/h. Fuel consumption is noticeably worse around town but better than stock on highways. Needs a double row timing chain in addition to new valve springs. You leave the balance shaft in without the sprocket to keep the rear oil journal sealed up.

96vsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
Depends on what you’re after. I’ve got their comp cam stage 2 and it meets my needs. Still drivable around town, in cold weather, tricky enough for my learner driver in the family, and gives a solid throttle response over 2,000rpm like when dropping back to 3rd for an overtake or accelerating up to 100km/h. Fuel consumption is noticeably worse around town but better than stock on highways. Needs a double row timing chain in addition to new valve springs. You leave the balance shaft in without the sprocket to keep the rear oil journal sealed up.
Thanks guys this is a massive help I'm just looking for a bit more get up and go

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah it's a big job. Don't know about Eco but early V6 it's really an engine out job because getting the sump off is a fair few hours.

96vsmanual

Reaction score
Members Ride
Funniest part is it'd be easy atm cause gearbox is out and engine mounts are fucked so engine is leant back pull the radiator out and bobs ya uncle