Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Ecotec overheats in first 5-10mins of starting, then fine for rest of journey

Senna.In.The.Wet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 / VX S V6 Ecotec
Hi All,

VX S pack with V6 Ecotec

At least twice a week for the past month or so, will start car in morning, be driving for 5-10 minutes and will then hear temperature warning beep. Temperature gauge will show very high (nealry maxed out) and I'll pull over straight away, then as soon as I pull over the temp goes straight back down to normal operating temp.

Ill then continue driving and the temperature will be fine for the rest of my travel.

Have already replaced thermostat and gasket.

Any ideas?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
sounds like you havent bled the cooling system properly and have an airlock and its not opening the thermostat fast enough.... do a search on how to bleed the air from the cooling system and see if your probelm goes away

Senna.In.The.Wet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 / VX S V6 Ecotec
Thanks Peanuts, Ill give that a go.

Cheers!

codeunknown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Commodore EXE 1999 with vx 3.8/auto
i would be checking the thermostae .....and even the rad cap...if this does not change after the air bleed out....

best way to to remove the air bleed is have it idle.....with the overflow tank open and rad cap off
and have a hose in it running fully before you start and run the car,,,
NOTE make sure you got plenty of coolant in it to start with...
as it starts and runs up you hear it suck in air ..and notice the throat of water filler ..where the rad cap was go down...
make sure you hold the folw in there and squeeze the hose to control flow....you also see and hear it spit back...make sure the flow is high then...and keep doing it till you the thermostate is cracked open..and the water tube is contstant full....

and not spiting high ...
then make sure the hose to the tank..overflow is good and air tight...and put back the top on that and fill the water in the overflow to the max....
and seal the main tank with rad cap...turn off the hose and take old betsy for 5 km run...and leave it alone when you get back
in the morning the next day check the overflow for full water and same with the rad cap before starting
and check for puddle under the car...
in should be clear of air
and your next drive should confirm this...

if you get a repeat of the overheat thing....
your themostate may be the issue...or your got a leak or sucking air somewhere like overflow...

:)