Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Ecotec Temperature

WyldOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wagon
Hey all,

Had a few issues with my VT Commodore, V6 Ecotec engine overheating.

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know where does everyone's V6 Ecotec temperature gauge sit at?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Half-way or if you read the digital temp on your dash, than ~91 degrees, what it should run at.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
diff engine but so far i've seen 90-107c or so... 90c is cruising speed in nov, when it was cold

107 is in the middle of a heatwave with the air on

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Mine sits always on half way, no idea why it does though. Short trips or long trips always gets to half way then sits there, I would prefer it to be cooler but I think its probably because its not exactly made for Australian conditions like they used to be. Aussie cars used to be made to always run cool but these things warm them self up pretty quick.
My VN always sits under 1/4 and if it gets to half then I think there would be problems although its never got that high.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Most sit just below half way at the hottest, as does mine. It's between 1/3 and 1/2 if that makes sense.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
By overheating do you mean you can hear the audible chime coming from the dash and the "HOT" word coming up in the cluster display? If it only happens shortly after cold start up (1st 10mins) it's most likely a sticky thermostat taking too long to open or if it's a longer intermittent overheating, intake minifold gaskets, heater tap or radiator could be the issue. All common well known issues to mechanics. Hopefully nothing major

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
By overheating do you mean you can hear the audible chime coming from the dash and the "HOT" word coming up in the cluster display? If it only happens shortly after cold start up (1st 10mins) it's most likely a sticky thermostat taking too long to open or if it's a longer intermittent overheating, intake minifold gaskets, heater tap or radiator could be the issue. All common well known issues to mechanics. Hopefully nothing major

Good question, or is it a more, "that's a fascinating smell" overheating.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
An engine runs at it's most efficient when hot, running temp is anywhere between 80-100 deg C, entirely normal. Gauges can vary anywhere from 1/3 to over 1/2. 107 is OK on a hot day with the aircon on.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
HAD MY VT FOR 14YRS (1ST OF THE 1997 VT,S TO COME OUT) its never ever gone past half even on 45C DAY

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
My temp needle always sits half way in between the 1/4 and the 1/2 way marks. Even on stinking hot days with air con on. The only time it has gone over was once when I tried to make a dash home after the top hose sprung a leak, (big mistake)