Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 engine length and weight

N

Natsnud

Hi, I am new to this forum and hoping someone can help me with some information. I am trying to find out the dimensions and weight of a stock 3.8L V6. Were they the same sizes in the various models , VT, VS etc?

R

rollaboy

hey guys, i would also like to know??
i am doing a conversion and want to know if my car will still turn corners??

N

Natsnud

Doesnt look like anyone knows the answer to this. I thought it would be well known especially for those wanting to do a conversion.

N

Natsnud

Went to a wrecker today and got the following approximate dimensions for a VR Commodore V6 engine:

Length: 560mm - flywheel outer to crank pulley nut outer.
Width: 530mm - Outer to outer of cam covers. Add about 70mm for exhaust header to header.
Height: 670mm - bottom of front sump to top of plenum box.

I dont think there would be any difference to the Ecotech engine.

Hope this helps others. Still havent got the weight yet.
I cant believe no one could tell me these dimensions!

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
Hey Dunstan, I just couldn't be bothered going out to the shed, then finding a measuring tape, then using it, gee it would have been all a bit too much, lol.

But the ecotecs are a little taller than the earlier girls, cause of their revised intake plenum, maybe up to a 100mm difference, bugger it, I might have to go out there and measure up one of the ones on the floor.

The engine weight is (if my memory isn't totally failing me) about the 170kg mark, I can't remember if that was with or without acc's.

R

rollaboy

does anyone know if putting a v6 into a corolla which is adding about 55 kilos over the front is gonna make any drastic difference in handling??

N

Natsnud

No worries Toa. Maybe next time you go in the shed you could do me a favour and check the measurements. It would be great to check the dimensions of an ecotech. Just think of the service you will be doing for the rest of the forum! I might just have to visit a dealer with one for sale and measure it. Might look a bit strange but who cares.

R

rattattack1313

So how did you go with your assignment, Natsnud???

R

rattattack1313

rollaboy said:
does anyone know if putting a v6 into a corolla which is adding about 55 kilos over the front is gonna make any drastic difference in handling??
Yea mate.. try driving the car with a full bag of cement on the bonnet...same thing.........car will have a lot of wieght onthe front of it.....

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
Natsnud said:
Went to a wrecker today and got the following approximate dimensions for a VR Commodore V6 engine:

Length: 560mm - flywheel outer to crank pulley nut outer.
Width: 530mm - Outer to outer of cam covers. Add about 70mm for exhaust header to header.
Height: 670mm - bottom of front sump to top of plenum box.

I dont think there would be any difference to the Ecotech engine.

Hope this helps others. Still havent got the weight yet.
I cant believe no one could tell me these dimensions!
I think you may have been measuring an ecotec engine as the VR motors don't have a "plenum box", also the dimensions are the same as the ecotecs I have on the floor.