Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 front pulley oil leak, knock?

jayz383

jayz383
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive v8
hey guys, on my last outing to the strip i backed off the throttle to see smoke pouring out the back of my car then when i puulled over i heard a knocking coming from the front of the engine only to discover what looks like the front pulley seal is got a major leak and covered the whole underside of my car with oil! well i limped back to the pits checked and filled the oil and drove it about 5km home... knocking all the way.... ): any way just wondering if it may be just the crank pulley or do you think its terminal? it had been parked up for about 9months and drove out to the strip with a slight viabration but really dont want to have to replace my engine if possible. has anyone else had this problem? cheers.

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
if its just your crank pulley (also known as harmonic balancer) then you should be able to tell just by looking at the rubber that the pulley is made of. if it is split then that could definately be your problem, and maybe the oil seal tucked in behind it has broken or something..... worse yet though it may be a big end bearing or the timing belt which is a fair bit more work to fix.... either way you should take off your harmonic balancer to get a better look around that area. just what i'd do.... good luck bud

scvx2cal

Reaction score
Members Ride
series2 supercharged vx calais
very interesting about the pulleys i have a series 2 vx supercharged calais that has got a really bad knock coming from under bonnet and oil leak it does appear that the oil is coming from behind the harmonic balancer but it is that hard to see behind there the only cars ive owned have been commodores previos to vx yellow vl bt1 dead streight fully worked ended up stolen when copper rang he asked me the color of the car it had been torched had to of been kids nothing was stripped just all melted front mount to4 manifold gauges boost control the whole lot anyway ive always takin my cars to the same bloke who only does work on commodores sugested p/s pump but after just reading a few things the oil is all over the front of the block and under car over tranny a/c pump is covered so im thinking tommorow the harmonic balancer may have a date with the balancer pully the noise is snapping me more than the oil its leaving in my drive if anybody can think of anything else to check would be really helpfull