Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Gearbox compatibility (requesting holden mechanics expertise or anyone else)

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Hi guys,

Ok, I will be letting the cat of the bag here, that ve v6 turbo that CHE completed last month is mine, this leads me to my next question about the wonderful 5 speed boxes that the sv6's have. The build is no where near finished but this is the next part on the list, what I am wondering is which gearbox to replace this with. The options I have are manual conversion using the AY6 or the auto 4l60e with quite a few extra goodies to handle the few kw's extra. These two did come in the Ly7 alloytec Ve's and would like to know if i pickup the 4l60e out of a ve omega with the harness will it work in my SV6 at all, i do believe the ecu's are the same?

I know the manual conversion is possible but obviously this vehicle also being a daily sitting in traffic I would prefer the auto but definately not limited to this.

Im sure there are some guys on here that work for holden and know a bit more about these than I do.

Cheers Guys.
Dean

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
im not enitrly sure whether the ve's ecm incorporated the transmission control (vz's ran an individual tcm)

it would be possible, you will need the wiring loom for the transmission, back to where ever it connects to the main loom, aswell as the 4l60 box,

basically convert everything that allows it to work on an omega,

to get it all running you will need to get it to holden, you need a ve omega vin number, then with a bit of trickery you use the omega vin number to re-program the whole car to suit, fyi vin numbers is what tech2 uses to set all the parameters as the code gives the model and powertrain configuration data

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Ahh ok so I'm assuming the same trickery will need to be done if I was to go manual also to tell the Ecu. I take it an aftermarket tune isn't enough. If I was to go to a manual.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Once I have it all hooked installed do I simply ask Holden to change the vin via tech 2? Will they be happy to do it there isn't any security issues with that?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
same applies if you go manual, swap all associtated parts over to make it a manual and use a sv6 manual vin number.... will probably be easier to do than a 4sp

I had to go through all this when I converted my vz to manual,

when you swap it all over it most likely wont start by ignition key, I got around that by shorting out the 30 and 87 pins in the starter relay to get it to holden