Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Getrag 5 speed manual transmission rebuild - Melbourne

scottfromwantirna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S 3.8
Hi Fellas,

On the weekend I was unfortunate enough to have my transmission lock up while cruising down the road at 80km/h (not sure how/why, it was almost like it fell out of 5th gear and dropped somewhere inbetween 4th and 5th). The attached photo shows the result, I sheered all 3 studs off the rear output shaft of the transmission.

Is there anyone in the melbourne area that has a good rep for rebuilding these boxes? For the guys who have blown transmissions in the past, did you go for a rebuild or trade it in for a recondition one?

Thanks all for the input!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 2,689

MRNICK

LS1 LOVE
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenowners.com
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Frig! That must have been some lock up!
I have a mate that is a mechanic in and around Melbourne so i'll ask where he'd take it to...

scottfromwantirna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore S 3.8
Thanks buddy, appreciate it.

Yeh, it wasn't pretty. I still have to confirm it was the tranny that messed up, atm the tailshaft is just resting on the cross member. If I can punch the studs out of the flange and chuck in some bolts to temporarily reconnect the shaft, I can rock the car and see if I can get the rear wheels to spin. Either that or get her on some stands and let her idle in first gear, should be able to see the output shaft spin I guess.

Biglachs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive and vs s3 ute
i had the rubber coupling explode on me whilst i was driving down the freeway once.. it threw the tailshaft up and it ripped the shifter to the road.