Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Head Porting

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
that all depends on the size of your mates, head work is there all the time :)

anyways back on topic hehe ...

this first picture as you can see is of the stock VN V6 inlet port before any porting was done.
R0015806.JPG

then this one is with only some mild porting around the valve boss area, you can go further with this if you like, depends on the effort you wish to put in.
R0015805.JPG

its a similar deal with the exhaust port but its a slightly different design - stock though still.
R0015809.JPG

its not a huge difference here but the angle difference after porting will make all the difference in the exhaust compared to the inlet port because the air coming out would run straight into the valve boss, whereas in the inlet port it still runs past the valve boss, just that the valve boss takes up more room.
R0015810.JPG

and here we have a stock port with stock valve boss area ...
R0015814.JPG

now an enlarged and tidied up port with the valve boss cleaned up abit aswell.
R0015813.JPG

stock inlet port on the left and the other two are in various stages of porting complettion.
R0015815.JPG

and similarly with the exhaust ports, the left hand port has been done and the other two are stock.
R0015816.JPG

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
nice man, picked up my heads today, 200,000km..... thats 70,000km less than my current ones i couldnt believe how light the inlet manifold is... the heads are heavy bastards but i knew that already, any easy way to remove valves, how much do valve spring compressors cost???

cracker

Reaction score
interesting, how does the 2nd last picute work though by inlarging the port u are just creating a slitght wider area? instead of one constant width i cant see this helping flow, all looks very good though im impressed, how do you know what ur doing just guessing or do you know that this works?

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
guess work with consistancy accros all 6 i am presuming

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You make templates so they are all the same

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
i use the inlet/exhaust gaskets to work out how far to take the ports out to, as for the valve area its really guess work for me :) if they all look the same i'm happy.

i've spoken to my engine machinist about where to port and how far to go and all that stuff but other than that its all just go by what i feel is best.

paradox616: i made my own tool which it like a steel bar with a bit of flat plate welded to it, then the flat plate has a hole cut in it closest to the steel bar then a groove after that, like a 'A' shape .... and how it works is you fit one of the rocker bolts and slot the bottom of the 'A' either side of the bolt, then the hole above that should line up with your valve stem, you lever the valve spring down and then remove the collets then lever back up and the springs and stuff just come off ...

its harder to use than a spring compressor but it was made from spares in the shed :)

also for your heads i would recommend getting them acid washed and crack tested before you go off and port them, as if they are ****ed its a fair waste of porting time!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sammy said:
i use the inlet/exhaust gaskets to work out how far to take the ports out to, as for the valve area its really guess work for me :) if they all look the same i'm happy.
Sammy said:
I've heard that minimal metal removal is the way to go, if you enlarge the runners to much and increase the runner volume you loose the intake charge velocity and this is bad for making power unless your making a high revving circle track racing engine. cleanup the bowl area and around the valve guide too but leave a little more metal around the exhaust valve guide to help dissapate the heat in the valve stem, even better, get some bronze valve guides fitted while your at it as after 300,000km their gotta be some wear and tear there and a 3 angle valve grind