Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Lower Idler Pulley, is bracket removable from block?

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys.

The Idler pulley closest to the a/c compressor is not coming off, seems siezed so i cant pull it out,
tried a puller but it seems it needs a huge amount of force how siezed on it is.

I may end up breaking it, so my question is, the bracket that the pulley bolts onto, is that removable/unboltable
from the front easily? so i can replace that bracket with one from a wrecked engine.

I know for the upper idler pulley the bracket is removable, but can't really see well on the lower one.

Cheers Guys

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm pretty sure it is removable because I once had to bypass the A/C compressor and use a shorter belt for a non A/C car and I had to remove that pulley and I am fairly certain that I also had to remove the bracket to make way for the shorter belt. When you change the pulley put some grease on the shaft so it doesn't happen again.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
3 bolts and off she comes, bout $30 from repco

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i couldn't get mine off without a puller, just buy one and save yourself a lot of problems

with the puller it just pops off

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
Sure is removable, only recently my girlfriend had the same problem and with using a pulley snapped the shaft off the bracket, we were told this is very common with the VX.
She bought a brand new bracket off ebay for $30.00 delivered because she found that Repco only sells them complete with the pulley and she had already bough all new pulleys
but in the mean time after glueing the shaft back together we managed to travel another 4,000 klms before fitting the new unit.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Thanks for Replies guys, I really don't want to break mine so I'm going to take it easy and try get it off.