Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 LY7 Engine Noise issues

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
Hi All
I have a leo Ly7 motor with some engine noise which I just cannot figure out where it is coming from.

So, I replaced timing chains with gears, oil pump, tensioners, and mace performance cam and
Installed inlet spacer.
Since these works motor is quite when cold but is noisy on idle when sightly warmed up. It's a bit of a knocking noise but tends to quite down when you accelerate.
Background of motor, high km,s was throughing fault code, changed chains, gears and cams. motor full of sludge cleaned inside front of motor at rear of chains and inside of rocker assembly.
When cams installed lash lifers taken out to inspect along with rocker arms and put back where they come from.
Turned motor over my hand to ensure seated rite.
Prior to this motor ran quite.

Any ideas what might be the cause.
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Which kit did you use?

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
Which kit did you use?
Timing kit with gears and oil pump from Revhigh.
And Mace cam shafts.
Its strange as prior to chain replacement engine had no noise.
When pulled down it was heavily sludge which was all cleaned when cams were removed and replaced.
All Timing was checked prior to starting and there is no issues there . All tensioner gaskets all installed as well.
Noise tends to go away on excelaration but returns on idle.
Some say it might be big end bearing but I fail to see why it would be this as it didn't do this before.
I have also disconnected coils one by one and no change .
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I take it you pulled the pins on the tensioners? Obvs question but needs to be asked as other threads seem to indicate this is a symptom of chain tension - possibly one of the tensioners might be a bit soft or something. Other possible (but unlikely) thing is lack of oil pressure, goes away when you accelerate because the pressure increases.

Have you managed to isolate it to the cams or the chains? Or asked Mace if it's a symptom of something being incorrectly set when the valve train goes back together?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Bits of stuff you got in the motor working blocked your pickup, is my guess. Gasket scrapings. Dislodged chunks of sludge.

Dozer31

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE S1 calais
I take it you pulled the pins on the tensioners? Obvs question but needs to be asked as other threads seem to indicate this is a symptom of chain tension - possibly one of the tensioners might be a bit soft or something. Other possible (but unlikely) thing is lack of oil pressure, goes away when you accelerate because the pressure increases.

Have you managed to isolate it to the cams or the chains? Or asked Mace if it's a symptom of something being incorrectly set when the valve train goes back together?
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah pin's were pulled and all tenteioners seems all good.
I also haven't confirmed where the noise is coming from. It's not really louder from one side of the motor to the other.
I'm also thinking it may have something to do with the fuel rail as this was remove when inlet manifold was removed ?
And yes that was the next step as I contacted mace and will send them the video to see where hey believe it is coming from.
Cheers.