Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Oil in Radiator, Inlet Manifold loose.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Hi I just noticed a very small amount of oil in the radiator today and after I took off the engine cover noticed a bit of oil weaping around the inlet manifold gaskets. All the small bolts that bolt the inlet manifold to the cylinder heads were quite loose so I tightened them all up. Do you think the loose bolts are likely to be the cause of this problem? The automatic transmission fluid looks fine and no signs of any water. The car was running fine with these bolts loose. What are these inlet manifold gaskets made of on a VY they look a fair bit thicker than the ones that were on VN's?

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
the bolts loosen with vibration and heating and cooling. better off chaning the intake gaskets and putting thread locker on the intake bolts

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah i reckon youd be better off changing the whole gasket... might even get a mechanic to check it if your not confident cause you might have missed something else thats also causing the problem

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
also with the trans cooler possibly leaking into the radiator coolant. you wont find water in the trans fluid due to the pressure from the trans pushing the oil into the water

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies. I've tightened up the manifold bolts for now and will keep an eye on things. I'll probably remove the inlet manifold and renew the gaskets in a month or so when I have some more time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
the gaskets are likely plastic between the heads and the lim and rubber between the block and the lim. you can now get metal ones to replace the plastic ones.

the bolts pass through the water passages and require sealent on the threads.

I would be changing the gaskets and resealing the bolts, fix it now as it can only get worse and cost you more.

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
gas.jpg

If you do happen to do the job yourself Don't forget to do the 4 dots :)

When i had this problem I tightened the bolts but it would still leak But mine was also leaking from the back/front part of the gasket.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are the genuine gaskets still plastic? Where do you get the metal gaskets from? Had to take the car away on a trip yesterday, it was either that or the Pulsar! so will fix it properly when I get back. It's going fine now, no more oil in the water and no oil leaking out into the valley but yeah agree better to replace the gaskets and I'll also clean out the plenum chamber as well.
When I take the top off the plenum chamber can the O ring be reused or should it be replaced?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Are the genuine gaskets still plastic? Where do you get the metal gaskets from? Had to take the car away on a trip yesterday, it was either that or the Pulsar! so will fix it properly when I get back. It's going fine now, no more oil in the water and no oil leaking out into the valley but yeah agree better to replace the gaskets and I'll also clean out the plenum chamber as well.
When I take the top off the plenum chamber can the O ring be reused or should it be replaced?

holden are now selling the metal ones but its just luck which you you get as they are running the old stock out. you might be able to ask the guy for the metal ones but who know what you will ever get from them.

Yes its fine to reuse the plenum seal