Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 oil pressure issue

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Anywhere between 15-25 at op temp idle is perfectly fine for L27, L36 or L67. This also depends on where the reading comes from. As Shane posted you want to be seeing 45-50 at around 2k and nothing topping 70-80 at full tilt. Are you suffering any low oil pressure symptoms or is she running fine?

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Was the crank ground under sized?
May have the incorrect sized bearings fitted. (Too much oil clearance)
I'm not sure. I didn't discuss it with him. I'm sure he's done the right thing.

Anywhere between 15-25 at op temp idle is perfectly fine for L27, L36 or L67. This also depends on where the reading comes from. As Shane posted you want to be seeing 45-50 at around 2k and nothing topping 70-80 at full tilt. Are you suffering any low oil pressure symptoms or is she running fine?
It runs fine when I start it cold. It's smacks around for a sec but you can actually hear it building pressure back. It sounds good for a minute Then falls off as it warms up. Gets real rough and loud obviously. Making bad noises under load.
The engine builder said the same thing to me. And it doesn't sound right. So I tested my mates Ecotec yesterday and actually took a photo of it at op temp with 45psi (I'm assuming if we replace his relief spring, this figure should go up). And the level was steady the whole time, I'm assuming because the system was working correctly and being regulated by the valve accordingly. I took a photo to show the builder. There is another thread here where people have posted their psi readings at idle which corresponds accordingly.

Attachments

• IMG20201230142259.jpg
    IMG20201230142259.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 156

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Bad noises is never good... obviously

What's your pressure at when you push the rpm to 2k? Are you seeing low pressure across the range? It's probably semantics around idle pressures, the 2k(ish) to redline is the important range to operation

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
It's tough to be accurate because the needle shoots up so much plus it sounds terrible so it's all alot at once. Under load, it's close to the spec, maybe a bit under if anything. But the motor sounds terrible. Not sorry if it's my lifters or balance running dry but it makes a racket

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
It's obvious that the pressure is being lost somewhere, I just dont know if I'm doing the right thing by sending it back or if it's something small I can sort myself without breaking anyone's balls.
Except for the JC community. You guys love it haha

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Pull a rocker cover off and see if oil is getting to the top.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Did you prime the engine before you started it? It's possible lifters aren't bled.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Did you prime the engine before you started it? It's possible lifters aren't bled.
How do you prime it? The manual says to pack the pump with vaso to make sure it primes up properly which was done. It has pressure when it's cold, so I doubt it's an issue with an air pocket.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
How do you prime it? The manual says to pack the pump with vaso to make sure it primes up properly which was done. It has pressure when it's cold, so I doubt it's an issue with an air pocket.

You can hire a air primer. It looks like a 4kg gas bottle and you pressurize the bottle with air. You hook it up at the oil pressure sensor and it fills all the galleries and primes the lifters after a few hand rotations.