Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Peformance Parts

MACE

Reaction score
hey steve, welcome to the forums,

onto an area that hasnt been explored much yet, what happening in the way of alloytec modifications?

i know you have the manifold spacers, but is there anything else on the design wall at the moment?

cheers
Andrew

Hey Andrew,

In regards to alloytec development the only thing else we have besides the manifold insulators is a replacement cold air intake to suit VZ commodores.

There are a few areas to improve the alloytec that we'll be looking into however at the moment we have other developments that we need to finish off first :(

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Gday Mace and welcome to JC. Recently I have been considering purchasing some spacers for my Ecotec. However I do want to keep the engine cover on and keep that below my strut brace. Im not sure of actual measurments but I would think that both in full size (25mm) would bring the height up a little far. If that is the case would it be better to go for one only in full size (Im leaning toward the plenum spacer) or both in the smaller versions?

Having said that the gains that are mentioned wouldnt be so much in the kw as delivery of the power of the engine already. Am I right to think that and would the low end gains from the spacers be offset at any point in the powerband of the engine. I would like some more down low and a plenum spacer should apparently do that for me.

Cheers for the reply in advance.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Mace, when your heads and rockers package comes out one day, what size extractors would yo recommend as i am going to install some soon, for example Pacemaker have 3 primary sizes option, 1 1/2. 1 5/8. or 1 3/4 ? Qouls 1.5 be sufficient ?

MACE

Reaction score
Gday Mace and welcome to JC. Recently I have been considering purchasing some spacers for my Ecotec. However I do want to keep the engine cover on and keep that below my strut brace. Im not sure of actual measurments but I would think that both in full size (25mm) would bring the height up a little far. If that is the case would it be better to go for one only in full size (Im leaning toward the plenum spacer) or both in the smaller versions?

Having said that the gains that are mentioned wouldnt be so much in the kw as delivery of the power of the engine already. Am I right to think that and would the low end gains from the spacers be offset at any point in the powerband of the engine. I would like some more down low and a plenum spacer should apparently do that for me.

Cheers for the reply in advance.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for warm welcome :)

In regards to the spacers given that you have a VS and still want to keep the engine cover, from experience you’ll only be able to install a single 12mm spacer, in which case would recommend the 12mm manifold insulator. In saying this though it would be best if you measured how much spacer you have because strut tower brace designs vary, in which case you may even be able to fit a 25mm manifold insulator. If you had even more room then a 12mm plenum spacer works well. If you were running boost then I would recommend the 25mm item.

In regards to power gains you’d be looking at a fair amount down low (hence the 10-13% increase in torque) plus a small increase top end. We have not found a reduction in power with the spacers fitted only gains across the board, hence the reason why we’ve found them to knock off around .2 to .3 seconds of the 1/4 mile time. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
Mace, when your heads and rockers package comes out one day, what size extractors would yo recommend as i am going to install some soon, for example Pacemaker have 3 primary sizes option, 1 1/2. 1 5/8. or 1 3/4 ? Qouls 1.5 be sufficient ?

Hey vxcalais_01,

If you don't intend on going down the boost path anytime soon I would recommend the 1 5/8 as they are a good all rounder, with respect to outright power and low end drivability :)

Cheers
Steve

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hey Col74,

The 12mm manifold insulator give around 10% increase in low down torque, while the 25mm item give around 13% increase over a broader range.

Cheers
Steve

Mace,

Col74 and I are both on LPG, do we need a retune(possibility of leaning) with the 12mm spacer ?

Thanks.

P.S I think these spacers for plenum and manifold would both help with some low down lost from bigger exhausts/extractors etc.....

MACE

Reaction score
Mace,

Col74 and I are both on LPG, do we need a retune(possibility of leaning) with the 12mm spacer ?

Thanks.

P.S I think these spacers for plenum and manifold would both help with some low down lost from bigger exhausts/extractors etc.....

We recommend they to, as every car is different, however in many cases they don't. These spacers work on even a dead standard car and are more effective (noticeable) on the later model cars because they are usually heavier. In saying this though take either to the track (VS or VY) and you'll shave about .2 to .3 seconds off the 1/4 mile time from our own experience and feedback from other customers.

Cheers
Steve

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
hey steve how u goin? the spacers are goin great mate and im lovin the extra kick down low!! im interested in COLD AIR INTAKE ENCLOSURES for the vz also, do i need to drill or make holes? or will it slot into the original holes? if u could send me the fitting instructions that would be great thanxs scott

MACE

Reaction score
hey steve how u goin? the spacers are goin great mate and im lovin the extra kick down low!! im interested in COLD AIR INTAKE ENCLOSURES for the vz also, do i need to drill or make holes? or will it slot into the original holes? if u could send me the fitting instructions that would be great thanxs scott

Hey Scott,

Just recovering at the moment after eating too many easter eggs LOL :D

In regards to the alloytec enclosures there is no need to drill into the body work as they are a bolt on affair. Fitting instructions for this airbox will be written up sometime over the coming weeks.

Cheers
Steve

Archers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V 6ltr
Hey Scott,

Just recovering at the moment after eating too many easter eggs LOL :D

In regards to the alloytec enclosures there is no need to drill into the body work as they are a bolt on affair. Fitting instructions for this airbox will be written up sometime over the coming weeks.

Cheers
Steve
thanxs mate when u get the instructions done i will get a set off ya m8 thanxs scott