Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Peformance Parts

vs s-pack

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s-pack ll
hey mace yeah he did. thanks awesomei will look in to it how much for 1.8:1 rockers? i was just wondering its still is really laggish at around the lower end going about 40-50 its got no go just wondering if its the tune or not?

vs s-pack

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s-pack ll
theres a couple of things really you can do, for about $200-250 you can get it bored out, acl race piston set and rings are about $700-$900 varies (thats with graphite gaskets or something along those lines) and what stage cam did you get? also a set of roller rockers will help too, apart from that not really much.

hey peckzz.

with getting it bored out what do you mean like what is getting bored out sorry?
and how much kw would that give me roughly? well i was goin to get roller rockers but i got told that a cam dose the same thing? and im dont sure on what stage cam it is all i no is that its lumpy not really lumpy just enough to here it. and i have a standed ss induction and a k&n panle filter just wondering its worth it to get a big mouth ss induction or not?

cheers kieran

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
'Bored Out' just means making the cylinder 20 or 40 thou wider. Won't increase power, generally done when engine is rebuilt because then tends to be wear on the cylinder walls.

Cams don't do the same things as rocker, more closer to the opposite. Rockers increase valve lift with everything else remaining the same. Camshafts can alter the valve lift, timing, valve overlap, etc.

Not going to be any difference going from a SS kit to a Growler kit.

vs s-pack

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s-pack ll
'Bored Out' just means making the cylinder 20 or 40 thou wider. Won't increase power, generally done when engine is rebuilt because then tends to be wear on the cylinder walls.

Cams don't do the same things as rocker, more closer to the opposite. Rockers increase valve lift with everything else remaining the same. Camshafts can alter the valve lift, timing, valve overlap, etc.

thanks mate just checking out everything thanks for all the help guys...

cheers

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6

sorry to pick a point but boring out your engine does increase power, im not sure if its kw or tourque, but you are making your motor bigger, not much, you are increasing the cubic inch's as this usually tends to increase power does it not? mace ccan you help us out here? and yes im rebuilding a spare engine thats why im doing the boring :D
the acl pistons are lighter technology as well

there was one other thing i forgot about as well, i read in a post about mace doing some heads for $1200-$1500 i cant remember exactly and the details, hopefully he can fill you in

instead of pannel filter i would go pod filter (thats just preference, i dont think there would be much difference, depending on the air flow of the pannel filter compared to the pod

and roller rockeers with a cam would go nicely, if these was the same thing people would just get one or the other, the reason you probally think they do the same thing is because alot of people say that roller rockers is just a cheap version of a cam, not true, if anything the roller rockers are dearer than cams, but with a cam you have to do a lot more work to put it in, which requiers more parts (gaskets etc) which is why it is dearer and roller rockers are said to be a cheap fix instead of cam, but i would chuck the roller rockers in

mace 1 thing, you said that he would be better going 1.8.1 ratio, what about those 1.9.1 that im waiting for? wouldnt he be at more power gain with these? just wondering thats all

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
sorry to pick a point but boring out your engine does increase power, im not sure if its kw or tourque, but you are making your motor bigger, not much, you are increasing the cubic inch's as this usually tends to increase power does it not? mace ccan you help us out here? and yes im rebuilding a spare engine thats why im doing the boring :D
the acl pistons are lighter technology as well

there was one other thing i forgot about as well, i read in a post about mace doing some heads for $1200-$1500 i cant remember exactly and the details, hopefully he can fill you in

instead of pannel filter i would go pod filter (thats just preference, i dont think there would be much difference, depending on the air flow of the pannel filter compared to the pod

and roller rockeers with a cam would go nicely, if these was the same thing people would just get one or the other, the reason you probally think they do the same thing is because alot of people say that roller rockers is just a cheap version of a cam, not true, if anything the roller rockers are dearer than cams, but with a cam you have to do a lot more work to put it in, which requiers more parts (gaskets etc) which is why it is dearer and roller rockers are said to be a cheap fix instead of cam, but i would chuck the roller rockers in

mace 1 thing, you said that he would be better going 1.8.1 ratio, what about those 1.9.1 that im waiting for? wouldnt he be at more power gain with these? just wondering thats all

Boring out won't increase power much. If you chasing that extra 1kw then yeah boring out will help, but unless it needs doing I wouldn't, because you can only bore them out 40 thou and no more. But if your rebuilding the engine then yeah go 20 thou over, chances are you aren't going to rebuild the engine more then twice in its life.

Yeah I am runing ACL Race pistons, they are lighter and stronger then stock, not by much but they are very decently priced. Also they raise compression to 10:1, so goes beautifully with a performance camshaft.

Yeah MACE do ported Ecotec heads, how do I know, I got one of the first sets :D. I think they are $1200 base, or a bit more with new valve springs, retainers, and stuff.

Pod vs Panel is purely personal choice. I prefer panel with CAI, but if you go pod with enclosure then it works out about even.

Roller rockers and cam can go together quite nicely, I'm even planning on going a bit higher lift through RR later. You can get a custom cam that has all the lift you require with stock RR but a lot of people tend to get a cam and go some stronger, lighter rockers as well, in which case the combination works really well. I used to have 1.97 FIT rockers in my car but I sold them when I had the cam installed because they would provide too much lift, my valves would of packed it in almost immediately. But yeah a combo would run sweet.

MACE

Reaction score
hey mace yeah he did. thanks awesomei will look in to it how much for 1.8:1 rockers? i was just wondering its still is really laggish at around the lower end going about 40-50 its got no go just wondering if its the tune or not?

The 1.8:1 ratio rockers are $475. As for it being laggish it would have more to do with the cam which from memory was a touch smaller then our stage two cam. To over come this lag you would need to run shorter diff gearing (3.9's for example) and run a higher stall converter.

hey peckzz.

with getting it bored out what do you mean like what is getting bored out sorry?
and how much kw would that give me roughly? well i was goin to get roller rockers but i got told that a cam dose the same thing? and im dont sure on what stage cam it is all i no is that its lumpy not really lumpy just enough to here it. and i have a standed ss induction and a k&n panle filter just wondering its worth it to get a big mouth ss induction or not?

cheers kieran

If you're going to change cold air intakes best to have a read at this thread first

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/mace-engineering/101990-mace-cold-air-intake.html

MACE

Reaction score
Even though boring out a block does increase hp I’d prefer to keep that to a minimum in a performance engine, as it does make the block weaker

In regards to going pod versus panel best to check out this link from people who have had both ;)

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/mace-engineering/101990-mace-cold-air-intake.html

Depending on how much lift you want to run you may have no choice but to run higher ratio rockers even on a aftermarket cam. You might be able to very high lift out of an ecotec cam say over .600” using factory ratio rockers, however you’ll have to reduce the base circle by a significant amount which will present itself other valve train problems…

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mr Mace, have you tested using just one side of the high ratio rockers? like only the intake or only the exhaust? I'm just wondering because chances are 80% of the gains are on one side and people that can't afford a whole set might be able to share them

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
She looks real nice :D

The only other thing I would recommend would be to box up the filters such that they're not drawing in hot air.

ok finished my box for my pods yesterday, not the best looking but does the job, was an effort trying to work with 2 pods in a small space, plus the hose for the air con is a pain in the a**, will post pics later