Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Performance Parts - L67

chrged6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY UTE L67 SC V6
Hi all i am currently in the process of doing away with the ecotec engine in my 04 series II VY Ute
and replacing with an L67 i just bought with 170k on it that im refurbishing/strengthening from the ground up
including:
new main bearings
new conrod bearings
new camshaft bearings
stage 2 comp cam
new 5% race harmonic balancer
comp cam valve locks
valve stem seals
piston rings
vrs kit
upgraded valve springs 130#
upgraded push rods
LS1 retainers
mace machined oil pump kit
double row timing chain set
12 or 14psi pulley kit ?
cooler thermostat
A2A intercooler kit

the car currently has hurricane 1 7/8 extractors twin 2.5 inch cat back system with hi flow cats.
will this be tough enough to take 14-17 psi all day everyday ???

My goal is to build a FUN/FAST 6 daily driver with an engine strong enough to run 14- 17psi of boost and looks tough as nails too :

MACE

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you take a full custom dyno tune after the installations of the components shown above that would be fine. In regards to pulleys, 10 PSI is the smallest pulley that we recommend for stock vehicles, however, if you will go with A2A and a custom dyno tune you can run as small as a 63mm pulley which equates to roughly 19 psi. Keep in mind, the snout will have to be machined in order for it to fit. This is a service we can also provide.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Michael

JulioT20

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 V6 Supercharged Vy
L67 v6 supercharged vy S series

Hi all I have a 2003 vy supercharged V6 S series. It's just done over 240,000 Ks and full serviced aswell. It is still a good car. Is it worth adding modifications and doing it up since it's done just over 240,000 Or is it better finding another L67 engine to put in it? I have so many things I wanna add and put myself but just wondering if it's safe to do so after it's done 240,000 .

MACE

Reaction score
"I have a 2003 vy supercharged V6 S series. It's just done over 240,000 Ks and full serviced aswell. It is still a good car. Is it worth adding modifications and doing it up since it's done just over 240,000 Or is it better finding another L67 engine to put in it? I have so many things I wanna add and put myself but just wondering if it's safe to do so after it's done 240,000"
It really depends on the current condition of your vehicle's engine .I.e. how it's running, how you look after your engine etc. If it's in a good condition then you can upgrade your vehicle.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Michael

Craig Briggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spac
Hi,new to the sight.just after some information,ive just brought a l67 to put in my vy Commodore.it came with 10psi pulley on it,when i got it it had a blown head gasket and a bloke told me its because of the 10psi pulley,is that correct and is there any other upgrades that ill need to do.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Maybe if they ran it on **** gas.

Craig Briggs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy spac
Still dont answer my question wich was was do i need any other upgrades and no not a cracked head.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No, a 10psi pulley upgrade will work ok as long as the engine is run on 98.

However, you can improve things, add a CAI, 180°F thermostat, good exhaust and a tune with lower thermofan on/off temps to stop getting quiet as warm.

It's also common for the intake gaskets to fail with age which can give similar symptoms to a blow headgasket.

It also pays to make sure everything else is in good working order, a sick injector can make a cylinder run lean and cause problems.