Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 performance upgrade?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The CT6. Now there is the GM car they could have gotten away with rebadging as a Commodore.
SUV option, V8 options and pokie V6 option.
Holden would have been saved.

Thanks to GM management short sightedness, another Alpha platform vehicle NOT produced in RHD...

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
The LFX on paper has more kW than the old V8s, but peak torque is is pretty high. Maybe if you go to some GM American forums, there might be people who have tweaked it. One problem might be the 9-speed transverse tranny can't handle extra torque.
The old VK and VL power was somewhere about 120Kw, VK Torque 336Nm at just 2400 - VL torque 323Nm @ 3200 - remember the ad with the VL Commodore passing someone on the Nullabor, as the VL goes past it's towing a Yacht.
Edit -

Last edited:

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
3.6l LGX Commodore ZB +32awkw + 60NM
2.0L Turbo +45awkw + 75NM
We're acheiving this with a dyno tune only for $750!

On the 2.0L with our Methanol injection plug+play kit we're getting 70awkw + 120NM. Similar to the Audi S3's!! $2200 drive in/out.

TRANSMISSION tuning is a MUST on these, it will make the power on the dyno but on the street the trans limits torque! So if you're planning on tuning either of these cars make sure they do the trans as well!!

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Curious about what would need to be done to the LGX V6 to get an extra 32 KW and 60 NM which should it seems bring it up to 265 KW and 440 NM?

Stage 2 suggests other bolt ons, but doesn't specify what they are...

And has anyone done one of these upgrades and run it down the strip - with a 9 speed auto it should hopefully be in the same ballpark as a VE SS?

Alan H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
Hey all. First time poster. Currently I own a VF11 SV6 in manual and toying with maybe trading to a VXR (even though I dislike auto's with a passion). I know there are few options for getting more power out of the VF V6 but wondering if anybody has done anything with the new V6 motor in the ZB as I believe it's a different engine. I'm no expert on any of this so please be gentle if I've got my info wrong.

Cheers.
I know it was a while ago and I couldn't be bothered reading through the crap as the v8 faithfully go on some sort of tangent and never really answer the question. Did you get an answer or some suggestions. I have one of the last vxr and honestly think it's a great car. Would love the get a little bit more out of it and beef the sound a bit but not too much.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I know it was a while ago and I couldn't be bothered reading through the crap as the v8 faithfully go on some sort of tangent and never really answer the question. Did you get an answer or some suggestions. I have one of the last vxr and honestly think it's a great car. Would love the get a little bit more out of it and beef the sound a bit but not too much.
Doubt he's going to reply but you could contact Revhigh on this forum as they're a site sponsor...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
They also wrote this incase you didn't see:

3.6l LGX Commodore ZB +32awkw + 60NM
2.0L Turbo +45awkw + 75NM
We're acheiving this with a dyno tune only for $750!

On the 2.0L with our Methanol injection plug+play kit we're getting 70awkw + 120NM. Similar to the Audi S3's!! $2200 drive in/out.

TRANSMISSION tuning is a MUST on these, it will make the power on the dyno but on the street the trans limits torque! So if you're planning on tuning either of these cars make sure they do the trans as well!!
Definitely check on forums in the US or Europe as they seem to do more with these ZB's than we do over here...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not the V8 faithful. It’s the Commodore faithful. Take the L67 for example. Few people bag that out and it’s a blown V6. It gained respect almost immediately. The Alloytec has been used 17 years or so and still no one takes them seriously. Hardly any market for performance as a result.

The Insignia still an Alloytec engine and they won’t be making huge power gains. You can really only do “I just got my licence” type mods like exhaust, CAI.

Twin turbo on it with a top to bottom rebuild might get it going ok for serious power, but a budget North of $30-$50k by the time the fuel system and various tuning issues are sorted would be expected to do it.

Last edited:

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
It’s not the V8 faithful. It’s the Commodore faithful. Take the L67 for example. Few people bag that out and it’s a blown V6. It gained respect almost immediately. The Alloytec has been used 17 years or so and still no one takes them seriously. Hardly any market for performance as a result.

The Insignia still an Alloytec engine and they won’t be making huge power gains. You can really only do “I just got my licence” type mods like exhaust, CAI.

Twin turbo on it with a top to bottom rebuild might get it going ok for serious power, but a budget North of $30-$50k by the time the fuel system and various tuning issues are sorted would be expected to do it.
and you would have to find a transverse gearbox that can handle that power - probably only 6 ratios