Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 performance upgrade?

Metalhed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6
Hey all. First time poster. Currently I own a VF11 SV6 in manual and toying with maybe trading to a VXR (even though I dislike auto's with a passion). I know there are few options for getting more power out of the VF V6 but wondering if anybody has done anything with the new V6 motor in the ZB as I believe it's a different engine. I'm no expert on any of this so please be gentle if I've got my info wrong.

Cheers.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Keep the VF
At least you'll be driving a real Commodore

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
The LFX on paper has more kW than the old V8s, but peak torque is is pretty high. Maybe if you go to some GM American forums, there might be people who have tweaked it. One problem might be the 9-speed transverse tranny can't handle extra torque.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
I have seen a post on FB of a ZB V6 that was fitted with a Unichip piggyback ECU. The gains were 60Nm and 30Kw at the wheels. Not sure weather it was some creative Dyno work but that is a decent gain. The cost was $1600. From the pic that was posted it's not plug and play unfortunately and required the new ECU to be spliced into the factory ECU wiring.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
The LFX on paper has more kW than the old V8s, but peak torque is is pretty high. Maybe if you go to some GM American forums, there might be people who have tweaked it. One problem might be the 9-speed transverse tranny can't handle extra torque.

Which old V8s? The iron Lions?

Metalhed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6
I have seen a post on FB of a ZB V6 that was fitted with a Unichip piggyback ECU. The gains were 60Nm and 30Kw at the wheels. Not sure weather it was some creative Dyno work but that is a decent gain. The cost was $1600. From the pic that was posted it's not plug and play unfortunately and required the new ECU to be spliced into the factory ECU wiring.

440 nm sounds quite tastey.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Which old V8s? The iron Lions?
Yeah, the 5 litre lump of iron, and also the early editions of LS1.
Sorry I said LFX in that post, I meant LGX. 235 kW in the ZB. In the Cadillac CT6, it pumps out 250 kW, but that is with longitudinal gearbox that can handle the extra power.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The CT6. Now there is the GM car they could have gotten away with rebadging as a Commodore.
SUV option, V8 options and pokie V6 option.
Holden would have been saved.