Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 power increase

Matey

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 V6 Commodore
Not alone it wouldn't, i wouldn't think. Stroker in these old buses is not worth it. Time you machine the engine you would add another $2k on top of the kit. It would be a nice upgrade but way cheaper to find a VS with a factory V8 than build a stroker. There is a bloke on here considering selling a stroker with matched flywheel and T5. No idea what he realistically wants for it but it would be a lot less than building your own.
If you have enough money to throw into a Buick you can make over 450rwhp.
Mmm. Yeah a stock 5L is only 165-168kw. Be nice to do a LS1 conversion.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mmm. Yeah a stock 5L is only 165-168kw. Be nice to do a LS1 conversion.
yes but then you have a solid blank canvas to build into a torque monster. And because the VR and VS came out with the 5L there should be no issues with engineering that you might strike with an LS.

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
If you have that kind of money and you like Ls's just buy a vt or vx with a LS in it, no engineering required, use the ute as a daily and the LS for fun.

Matey

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 V6 Commodore
How do I find out about the guy selling the stroker you mentioned?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have a look at my build thread in the VR section. On the last or second last page he has a response about offering it to me, if he decides to sell, PM him.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi people. I have a 94 V6 Commodore that obviously has 130kw of power at the engine. I would like to increase the power to around 180kw at the engine. Just roughly an extra 50kws. What do you experts recommend?
Thanks
I am looking into some head work. I am considering getting the valves and seats reshaped as well as some porting. Ideally I need a cam to increase torque but am going to talk to the engine reconditioners about what i have and what i want. Should see some gains but not sure how much. I just need to match head work to my hi ratio rockers and not go silly or i will need a big cam. Being a street car i need to look at driveability while increasing RWHP.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Realistically, for180kw you would be looking at boost.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Agreed, I did a cam, head work, roller rockers etc in a V6 years ago and only hit around 165 at the wheels with a pretty agressive tune.

Not worth the thousands worth of time and parts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not worth the thousands worth of time and parts.
Money wise its a big waste, but if the OP is like me and likes playing around with old buses and bikes it's not about the money, it's about having fun. In reality the amount of coin needed to get any VR into something decent could be as much something much newer with an LS. I mean lets face it you can extract 400+ HP out of the Buick but then you need another $8k to upgrade to decent brakes and suspension. Plus another $9k because the paint will need doing, then another $2-3k fitting out a Stato interior with all the mod cons of that period.
Nah its the joy of playing with toys that never leaves some blokes is what it is, just they get more exi in adulthood.