Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 rattle noise

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Lately I've noticed a weird rattle noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. It only happens when I am turning right. As I'm turning and accelerating, something is rattling. Once I'm out of the turn I never hear it again. Here's a short clip of the noise. May not be noticeable, maybe a set of earphones can enhance it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHesT7GbX4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anyways if anyone could shed some light as to what can be a possible culprit, that would be highly appreciated :)

I've searched around the engine bay looking for anything loose, still no success.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Power Steering Rack blockage or LHF rack end/tie rod end/ball joint perhaps (do you have mud flaps - could be one dragging on tyre on that turning circle). Inspect the underbelly for issues with front end bushes whilst flushing & refilling the Power Steering System.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll check it out today.
I don't have any mudflaps on the car.
If I take the turn slower I don't hear nothing at all (my hearing Is pretty good!)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
check your disc rotor and pads, on mine there is a lip worn into the top of the rotor which overhangs the pads on tight turns this kisses the pads and makes em rattle
You could prob test by going around a right hand turn carefully and lightly apply the brake with your left foot if the noise changes then rip of the wheel and have a look

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for that wozza. I'll check it out.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Went out to provoke the rattle while pressing the brakes and the noise wasn't there! Tried again without pressing the brakes. Noise there.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Well looks like its in that area, jack the car up with the wheel still bolted up and grab the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock possy and give it a wiggle,then 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.If you get the same sort of movement in both axis then it may be wheel baring related,if its only moving on one axis then 9,3 o'clock check tierod ends steering rack.... 12,6 oclock ball joint or upper lower bushes.....
if there is no movement or clunking then remove the wheel and check the caliper and disc rotor...note the above is a very rough rule of the thumb of what might be at fault

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi
Well looks like its in that area, jack the car up with the wheel still bolted up and grab the wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock possy and give it a wiggle,then 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.If you get the same sort of movement in both axis then it may be wheel baring related,if its only moving on one axis then 9,3 o'clock check tierod ends steering rack.... 12,6 oclock ball joint or upper lower bushes.....
if there is no movement or clunking then remove the wheel and check the caliper and disc rotor...note the above is a very rough rule of the thumb of what might be at fault

All the bushes and links have little to no movement. They've recently been replaced a long with the tie rod ends. The brake pads are very very low actually. Down to the last 10%

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
All the bushes and links have little to no movement. They've recently been replaced a long with the tie rod ends. The brake pads are very very low actually. Down to the last 10%

Replace them :) they could just be rattling around as they are getting close to the end...

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Replace them :) they could just be rattling around as they are getting close to the end...

Yeah I'll grab a set of discs and pads. Thanks for all your help! Greatly appreciated.