Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Redback exhaust catback

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by CarlosMaBah, Aug 22, 2014.

1. CarlosMaBah

CarlosMaBah New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S-Pack Series II
    Hey guys I own a VX S Pack with a fully standard ecotec, Its a first car and I want it too sound decent and backfire/crackle but without it sounding like some thrashed v6 with a chopped exhaust. Ive been looking at videos of the redback 2.5 inch catback and they sound pretty good. But my question was which catback to go with.

2.5 Inch single muffler then straight.
    [​IMG]

2.5 Inch square muffler than round muffler to twin
    [​IMG]

Pretty much just asking peoples opinions on what will sound better and how loud it will be, Cheers guys.

2. Husky

Husky Active Member

Members Ride:
    VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
    Contact forum member not_an_abba_fan. He set me up with the Manta system I have on my wagon and it sounds fantastic for a six, and I drive a v8 with a custom exhaust as well. I went with the front muffler and rear resonator to keep it legal.

3. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
  4. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    Being in Perth I can do the Manta system without freight. $245 with front muffler and tail pipe, or $285 with front muffler and rear resonator.

The tail pipe option will drone on the auto, they can bark a bit too, but the Manta isn't as raspy as the Redback. With the resonator, they are nice and deep, do not drone, and sound pretty good when you get up it.

5. havavb

havavb New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S Ute
    You wouldn't have a YouTube link to a manta system with a tail pipe? Curious to see how it sounds

6. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    Can't do it on this computer, YouTube is blocked lol. But there will be some on there.

7. CarlosMaBah

CarlosMaBah New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S-Pack Series II
    So neither of those 2 exhaust systems have resonators? How much **** can you get in for not having one and how much does it effect the sound? Cheers for the replies aswell guys :)

8. havavb

havavb New Member

Members Ride:
    VY S Ute
    I have a tail pipe and haven't copped anything. The rear resonator is what quiets the exhaust down, so removing that will make it louder. Two things they can get you for:
    1. Exhaust is too loud (fails a db test) mine was fine and I have extractors
    2. Exhaust doesn't meet factory requirements (2 mufflers from factory). You have to be damn near unlucky to get defected for that. But you will get a picky person who will list it for a rwc.

9. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    In the bottom picture, the round one is the resonator, well, technically they are both straight through mufflers, but the rear one is usually referred to as the resonator.

Apart from possible undue noise, you may get an EPA notice, which involves having the car tested for noise and emissions. Otherwise it will be just a defect for incorrect exhaust. But the chance of getting pulled up for it in Perth is pretty rare, unless you drive like a dick.

10. CarlosMaBah

CarlosMaBah New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S-Pack Series II
    I might go for the bottom one then and see how she goes, I just want something abit noiser than stock and want her to crackle when I stop accelerating ;) Plus I got a manual so It should sound sweet as :)

11. Bluey88

Bluey88 New Member

Members Ride:
    2000 S2 v6 3.8L VT BERLINA WAGON
    Hi I have a 2.5 redback catback straight through on my vt v6 wagon it sounds good lumpy and has a crackle when revved my neighbor has said that it sounds like a v8 from a distance I got mine from Value Exaust VE online from ebay and I paid $220 shipping included for a sedan you will be looking at a little more and I saved money by installing myself if you want to hear wat it sounds like msg me on 0422378495 and ask to hear my exaust please dont ring as I dont answer to private numbers

12. CarlosMaBah

CarlosMaBah New Member

Members Ride:
    VX S-Pack Series II
    You got the 2 muffler catback? or just the single one man?

13. VTandVB

VTandVB New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Exe V6 and VB sl V8
    hey I have the second option your looking at on my vt (the redback 2 1/2 with rear muffler twin out let). It isn't very loud compared to exhausts ive had with the rear tail only. It sounds very quite at idle and upto about 2500rpm it sounds nice and deep but still not a lot louder than stock, above 2500rpm its not that great sounding in my opinion. It does not crackle at all and dosnt drone. I have an auto vt v6. So if you want a loudish exhaust that makes ppl look at your car don't go the rear muffler. On the otherhand if you want slightly louder and slightly better sounding than stock without drawing much attention go the rear muffler option.

14. Bluey88

Bluey88 New Member

Members Ride:
    2000 S2 v6 3.8L VT BERLINA WAGON
    hey just the single straight through been having problems with my car so sorry for taking long to reply

15. mitchety

mitchety New Member

Members Ride:
    vx lumina
    Iv got the 2.5 inch redback with the single muffler and it sounds pretty good. Its just a cat back so there isn't any noticeable power gain its just noise and its really easy to fit yourself. I got mine off ebay for $190

16. mitsuko

mitsuko New Member

Members Ride:
    ve
    You can replace witj sports muffler and tips for a decent cheap fix too may be worth a look mate