Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] V6 to sound like V8 using headers

VZtoBRZ1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Alloytec V6
Hi all, just had a random thought, and wanted to see if anyone has tried/seen this done, as after a short search on google, I couldn't find anything and had no idea how to find something on it.
Anyway the idea is to do with how (as I understand) V8's that run using a crossplane crankshaft result in having two pistons firing one after the other in the same exhaust bank/pipe/header/extractor, which provides what sounds like a higher pressure pulse from one of the pipes (assuming a twin exhaust system right through), to give that typical V8 rumble.
On top of this, I keep hearing that V6's such as the alloytec don't sound awfully great with an aftermarket exhaust?

So! What if there was a pair of headers that ran like the stock ones, other than 1 piston on each side crossing over to the other pipe so that two pistons fire one after the other in the same pipe for a twin exhaust?

Eg. if the piston order is:
2 1
4 3
6 5

and the firing order is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...
can we run pistons (2, 4, 5) in one header
then have pistons (1, 3, 6) in the other header
so that 4 fires after 5 in the same bank
and 1 fires after 6 in the same bank?
(though this could work by switching any pair over, but I figured this would be easier to make an EL header for this setup)

I wouldn't imagine this would provide any performance benefits, but maybe it would sound alright and be easier than changing the firing order or crankshaft?
Just wondering...
Cheers!

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
You'd have to run one pipe over the top of/around the front of the block, from cylinders 5 and 6. You'd be dragging hot gasses over your intake manifold or close to your cooling and PS systems. It would sound different, yes, but I don't know if it'd sound like a V8.

Personally I don't get the obsession with sounding like a V8, because no matter what you do to the exhaust you still haven't made up for the 2 cylinders and 2.1+ litres of capacity you're lacking. You'd be better to work with what you've got and give u on making it sound like a V8. There are plenty of great sounding V6s out there too (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0WMeaZufo).

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
This is ridiculous.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
pppft who wants to sound like a V8....2 very sexy V6's that sound fecking awsome :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well at least you have put some thought into it which is more than 99% of people who post with the exact same question (making my V6 sound like a V8).

TBH, why would you bother? great expense for no real gain and something which probably won't sound anything similar (or right) to what you are trying to achieve.

V6's aren't too bad if done right, obviously they will never sound right to a die hard V8 fan but who gives a toss about what other people think anyway as long as you like the way it sounds.

VZtoBRZ1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Alloytec V6
Thanks for the feedback guys!
But yeah it sounds like it wouldn't be feasible, though if I had a friend who was good at welding I'd love to hear what it would sound like! :p you know, delving into the unknown? Kinda?
If only there was someone who had tried to see what it sounds like? I mean what if it sounds incredibly amazing and unique? That would probs be enough for me to go through the effort of squeezing more out of the engine, cutting weight out of the car and making the custom exhaust to match! Or doing the same thing to another V6 (like the 350z posted).

That 350z did sound feral though! :O love it! I was actually looking at getting one for a track build, but they are a bit too much for me, for something that will sit in the garage for 90% of the time...
A Stratos kit on the other hand would be amazing! If I had the money to get my hands on one!
But in the end I always love the sound of a V8, and it's so easy to make them sound great, sometimes even stock sounds so angry!
The hard part is to compromise between fuel consumption and performance/fun these days :/ and for me personally, the fun is the whole package, looks, sound, feel, handling, performance, all equal.

This is all really going towards well...the ultimate decision of what the next step in my car story will be,
whether that's to keep the VZ V6 and make it something I can love for the next 10 years,
or to buy another car, and whether that will be a new V8, or a smaller engined car...

Be honest though...surely everyone would be curious to hear what it would sound like! ;) Plus it would look awesome for a show car, crazy pipes weaving in and out of the engine bay!

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Link in my previous post but here it is again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Good idea. I like people thinking outside the box when it comes to anything automotive. Exhaust is almost like a black art when it comes to getting one to sound really good.

But the thing is, people need to get this whole "sound like a V8" thing out of their head. Everyone seems to be fixated on the V8 being the best sounding engine on the planet. While it does sound good, and I don't think there is anything quite like a really nice sounding V8 rumbling past, each engine does have it's unique signature sound.

The alloytec is one of those engines that has a sound of it's own when done correctly, and can actually sound quite nice. Although it will never sound even remotely close to a V8, it can sound decent in it's own right.

Small capacity, high revving engines will not have the same thump of a large cube, loping 8 cylinder.

Instead of trying to make it sound like a V8, make it sound like a nice Alloytec V6.