Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 to V8 Conversion - Easiest way to install the new V8 engine

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Hey guys,

I am planning a V6 to V8 (304) swap later on next year in my '96 VS. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine and mating it up with a WC t5 gearbox.

What i have been wondering over the past few days is what the best way to install the new engine once it has been rebuilt? Keeping in mind this will be done at home in the garage, i dont currently have access to a hoist.

Is it easier to have the gearbox and headers already bolted to the engine and lower it in that way. Or easier to install the gearbox and headers afterwards? Or maybe have the engine and gearbox only and install headers afterwards?

Just trying to plan ahead to save headaches further down the track with installation.

If anyone has been through this before and can add some helpful install advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Place the headers in the engine bay and then bolt the engine in, once the engine is in, bolt the headers to the engine. Assuming you are talking about aftermarket headers/extractors. If they are the stock manifolds, leave them bolted to the engine.

I always pull the engine and box out together and put them in together, but that's just me, I find it easier.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Place the headers in the engine bay and then bolt the engine in, once the engine is in, bolt the headers to the engine. Assuming you are talking about aftermarket headers/extractors. If they are the stock manifolds, leave them bolted to the engine.

I always pull the engine and box out together and put them in together, but that's just me, I find it easier.

Cheers dude,

Yeah i am looking at aftermarket headers/extractors as i am putting a beefer cam etc to make it something more than a stock V8 while it is out of the car. I will put them in before the engine.

How do you find lowering the whole engine and gearbox in? Is it a bit tricky getting the angles right to slot it in? or is it as easy as it sounds?

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Personally speaking..
You'll thank yourself if you remove/insert motor/trans as one. and it can be done by yourself without help (but people do help haha)
I had troubles assembling trans and motor out of car one time, would of QUIT if motor was in the car..

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Yeah, definitely have the extractors in the engine bay before you install the engine. It's a real pain to try and install them when the engine is already in.

And the leveller is worth it's weight in gold with the V8. It's a bit of a tight fit so without one it took me more then a few hours to get it in.
With the leveller I had the engine and box bolted in within 30 mins. I also take off the front bumper and raise the car on stands for more clearance with the engine crane.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Engine crane and leveller, 2 great investments, wait till sca has the cranes in a 50% off sale (every few months), also great for pulling star pickets and fence posts out of the ground :)
The sca leveller is ok.. but i'd modify it and put bearings on the ends of the threads instead of the simple washers and bush, they work but even swinging a v6 and trans off one they do bind and get difficult to turn.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I got my engine leveller from Hare and Forbes. Good design, IMO better then the SCA one, works well and was a good price.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
You guys are why this site is so amazing! Thanks for all the input, i will be keeping an eye out for a leveler now (xmas is coming up so that works out mint)

Thanks again guys! :beer chug: