Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 TO V8 SWAP

DomSchubert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V6 OMEGA COMMODORE 2008
Hi, can anybody help me about a potential engine swap?
I currently have a VE V6 2008 omega commodore and was curious whether it was worth swapping to a v8. Would probably be much cheaper engine swapping instead of buying a new or 2nd hand good condition v8.
So is it worth swapping engine considering my model of commodore? let me know please

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$15k - $20k to do the swap and it will still be an Omega. Save your coin and wait six months. SS VE's are coming down and can be bought now for $20k or less, some much less.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Don't bother.

Will be cheaper to buy an SS in the current market.......

Like I said in another thread, every P plater creates a post asking if they can V8 swap their omega/sv6/berlina etc and I've never, not even once seen one actually go through with it by the time they've priced the conversion up etc.

Also looking at your age being 16, if your doing the v8 swap into an omega to try and fly below the radar....be smart and think about the implications.

If you are driving a V8 of any kind when you shouldn't be, you are automatically uninsured. This means if you hit a car and do 60k worth of damage or kill/injure someone you are going to be paying that off the rest of your life. I know P platers like to think they are invincible and don't ever think the worst will happen to them, but it will, trust me.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also don't get caught in the hype that SS VE's are selling for $30k, because that's what people are asking. I watch ads all the time and the ones advertised at $25k plus are not moving, unless they are something pretty special.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Also don't get caught in the hype that SS VE's are selling for $30k, because that's what people are asking. I watch ads all the time and the ones advertised at $25k plus are not moving, unless they are something pretty special.
I've seen 3 in the last week in SA for under 10k the covid tax bubble has burst.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup. An engine swap in a VE isn't like doing a engine swap in a 1st or 2nd gen Commodore.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
There is that place GC cars that do complete drive in drive out v8 conversions for a fairly reasonable price but as some guy 360 said probably not a great idea for a 16yr old, I’ve got a v8 ve myself and I probably would have killed myself in something like that at 16 yrs old it’s a lot of car to handle in both physical size and power

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup, jump in VE, V8, turn of traction control and head for the nearest power poll!

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yup, jump in VE, V8, turn of traction control and head for the nearest power poll!
Don‘t even need to turn traction control off, it will let you go sideways for a bit before traction control kicks in I could imagine in a high speed loss of control by the time the traction control kicks in its already too late

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore

My favourite market place dreamer of the week was some muppet asking round $40k for an SV6 Black Edition Wagon because it had only 15K km on it.

Watching the ads as well, amazing how nothing is shifting. Plenty of clowns who clearly bought em with COVID money and thinking they can get it all back now its all gone. Double the V8's for sale on CarSales compared to V6's