Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Tuning, Megasquirt2 vs Delco 808

simc

Supercharged V6 Gemini
Reaction score
Hey guys.

In the near future ill be needing to do some engine management tweaks to keep up with the mods.

Just trying to decide what platform I should go with. I want something i can tune myself as my mods change quite often.

Convert to Megasquirt2, there is a heap of info around for it, and the real time readouts/data log functions will come in handy. Also seems like there is a heap of help available on the site forums is there are any issues.

Or play around with the Delco 808. Obviously people out there are having good success with this, however the info on this is far less available and straightforward. My searches have only ever given dribs and drabs of info.

Opinions?

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I'd go for the Megasquirt2 for the simple fact (as you said) there is a lot more help / info available for it and I have only heard good things about it so far.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The advantage with the '808 would be that a lot of the programming is already done and it is much more sophisticated with lots of additional variables, which may or not be good thing.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
v6 or v8? the megasquirt 2 doesnt have a good elec ignition setup for the v6 yet, but foor the v8 it should be fine, as itss still just singlle coil.

but there has been a few people doing some crazy stuff to the delco unit.

vl400 a member on here is part way through getting a realtime tuning setup done, the hardware is done, as i have it sitting inn my shed, but hes still working on thhe software.

it also converts the 808 delco from 160 baud data readout to the vr 8192 data speed.

the megasquirt2 would be a awesome diy project, but ive gone the delco route.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
If it's a manual why not just run the VR computer as it is?

simc

Supercharged V6 Gemini
Reaction score
Does the VR ECM plug into the VP loom?
At present I dont have any signal inputs from the auto to the ECM, I dont use the converter lockup or the speedo signal, so could be treated like a manual.

Its a V6. I was under the impreson that the MS2 worked on basically any engine. Any more info on the issue wih the V6 ignition ?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
it does, but its only really fuel control, hence the name megaSQUIRT, and sensor control, the ignition side is still very basic, but they are working on better control.

im not sure whta it is exactly that doesnt like the v6 coilpack, but its something to do with telling it when to spark.