Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Turbo Anyone?

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Comcrazy, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Comcrazy

Comcrazy Guest

Hi All, I have been toying with the idea of fitting a Turbo to my V6 Vt Commodore for some time now and have finally decided to to somthing about it. I have heard that they have loads of potential and was wondering if anyone had any info on the subject. Really want to see this happen and have been putting the pennies aside. Just love the idea of being able to drive your car around as a sleeper and having the grunt there when it counts. Any input would be apreciated.

Comcrazy

2. Torana

Torana Young Einstein

Members Ride:
    KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
    Damn you! I thought you meant Holden was going to release a Turbo Alloytec (please Holden, please Holden!!!). Sorry but I don't know much about this stuff but I do know that it would be really good once finished. Good Luck and be careful of the cops...

3. There are a few different options and companies that have bolt on turbo and supercharger kits.
    Check out:
    http://www.capa.com.au/kits_holden.htm
    http://www.v6supercharged.com.au/turbo_manifold.asp
    http://www.rodshop.com.au/superchargerholdv6.htm
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649207/3

Not sure if im allowed to say this (although i know most members are a member of both) but check out streetcommodres forum, theres heaps of info on turbo'ing a V6 ecotec. You will be looking around the 7k mark to turbo your car. So i hope your saving has been quite good.

4. By the way, this should be in the V6 section not the straight 6 section.

5. Comcrazy

Comcrazy Guest

comcrazy

Ur right!! This should be in the V6 Section not the straight 6, but this is the first time I have used this forum so you will have to excuse me!! Thanks for the info.Will check out the links I have been saving my pennies around 15k now, but heard down the grapevine that there are or will be soon bolt on kits available that could get you a result of around the 300hp. Not too bad I thought if this is true from a humble V6. This is supposed to include the modified memcal too. In the meantime will keep reaseaching!!.

Comcrazy.

6. Darren

Darren Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV Clubsport R8 E2 M6
    Moved to the right section.

Don't worry about it Comcrazy, posts can easily be put in the wrong section.

7. DRF74

DRF74 Guest

hey mate i been resarching this for a while now if you have an L67 bottom end like tony (tonsta guy with the tuffest v6 in the country atm producing 440.6rwhp on a stock l67 bottom end stock heads his mods are F.I.T 1.9:1 roller rockers F.I.T turbo manfiolds and intercooler and a dump back exhaust... and his tuned memcal .... so yeah u can but the l32 (n/a version) wont hold up look on the sc forums and see turbo ecotecs post hes gone thru 3 engines soo far... they just let got if u rebuild them yeha sure they are good but why spend soo much n a rebuild whe u can get a 67 bottom end frm holden for $2200

8. dwilz

dwilz New Member

Members Ride:
    VS 3.8 c4
    Ive got a twin turbo set up its been running for just over a year,has done about 70+ dyno runs about 80 odd runs down the track runs at 11.36s@118mph and its an ecotec so far so good.

9. DRF74

DRF74 Guest

yeah but david yours is fuckin TUFF as .. not stock bottom end ... i love your car btw...... hmm i want

10. dwilz

dwilz New Member

Members Ride:
    VS 3.8 c4
    i recon a stock supercharged bottom end could handle a fair bit of power just give it a nice cam good set of heads a couple of not over rated turbos cool air
    and it will scream, and a must get the timing rite or bang :)

11. Comcrazy

Comcrazy Guest

comcrazy

Thanks for your comments. I have seen the F.I.T. website and did see the Vt in question with the supercharged bottom end. It might be true that the bottom end of the L32 may not hang in there for the long term, but with a crankshaft rebuilders billet crank, a set Argo rods, and a bit of revision to the oil system I believe that will make the L32 bullet proof. Was thinking more along the lines of a properly manufactured emissions legal kit so that I dont have to deal with road traffic authorities and cops, something similar to the APS Gen111 twin turbo kit (proper). Havent seen anything to date as yet but as I said last post I heard on the grapevine that some one has put the wheels in motion and I think they are in Melb?.
    dwilz .. Congrats on the twin turbos .... any chance of seeing some pics/graphs? Who did the work, eg: set up, tuning. development? Sounds like they knew what they were doing. It is good to hear that it has all held together so far, well done.

12. dwilz

dwilz New Member

Members Ride:
    VS 3.8 c4
    All the manufacturing and R&D has been done through V&E Rigoli Vince has put a lot of time in this and it seems to be paying off.

Check out V&E Rigoli web site they have pics and footage.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  13. Comcrazy

Comcrazy Guest

comcrazy

Checked out the Rigoli Website and your ride looked great. You have two 250hp Garretts (GT25)? Was jsut wondering, whats the diameter of the primary pipes and when does she come on boost? Did you do anything to the tranny or did ya justleave it standard?. Now I am starting to think maybe the twins might be the way to go instead of the single but not sure whether somthing like that would fit into my budget ... (could be a serious blowout!!) , but you gotta do what you gotta do.

14. dwilz

dwilz New Member

Members Ride:
    VS 3.8 c4
    Thoes turbos were high flow t28 with t25 housings ball bearing but have been changed to two larger ones.

15. Skid Pattern

Skid Pattern Artwork on the road!

Skid Pattern

Hey com crazy......I've heard that there IS somone in Melb doing exactly what you are looking for,as an engineer,i've heard that these turbo systems are in the final stages of development and apparently will cater for the VS-VY v6's. Sounds very promising to me,might be interested myself! Should extend my SKID PATTERN!!

16. Comcrazy

Comcrazy Guest

comcrazy

Skid Pattern, Let us know if you hear any more. Cant wait to lay down some rubber. :b:

17. Leigh_G

Leigh_G ..forgot the sump bolt

Members Ride:
    MY09 VE SS 6spd, MY04 Subaru Liberty
    I cought this topic on the main page 'n it was exactly what i was lookin for! :)
    I'm looking at buying a supercharger for my VN (series 1) V6, from a mate who has a brand new Holden (Eaton) v6 supercharger that should (theoretically) be pretty simple to install, as far as superchargers go :)
    Im new to supercharging, so im keen to know what kind of pressure Holden's superchargers run. Although, I'm a bit worried on how my stock internals would handle the extra pressure. Would i need to replace my whole bottom end with this setup, or will it be alright to run on complete stock internals? Im expecting to spend a fair bit so a few new internals arent too scary at the moment!

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Cheers!

18. Comcrazy

Comcrazy Guest

comcrazy

Leigh, The Eaton Factory supercharger was never fitted factory to VN/VP or VR V6, it was first introduced on the VS Commodores which have different heads all together for placement of the injectors. So if you buy this supercharger with a factory S/C manifold it will not fit your heads, and you cannot put VS/VT heads on a VN as the VN block is 3/4" approx taller than the VS/VT, plus push rod locations and length are totally different, so i think scrap it mate and have a good think about a turbo!!.

Cheers.

19. vtwagon

vtwagon Guest

You can still boost a stock N/A 6, just keep it to around 6 - 7psi, get yourself an intercooler and it seems that you should be fine - people who have been blowing engines up have been chasing crazy figures with the stock motors.

20. shayne

shayne Guest

i have a vh sle with a vr v6 manual fitted and recently put a t3 turbo, intercooler, bosch 363 injectors and microtech computer 3 inch exhaust and v8 throotle body and on 6 pound i made 171kw at the wheels with an estimated 200rwkw on 10 pound soon to come.