Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6-V8 Engineering??

Jaiden2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy v6 commodore
Hey Guys, this may be a silly question but I was wondering if I will need an engineering certificate if I convert my holden vy v6 commodore to a v8 (ls1). I've heard from some people that I have too but then I've heard from others that I don't have too because some vy's come straight from the factory with ls1's in them (SS). Anyway. Long story short, vy v6 conversion to vy v8. Do I need an engineering certificate? Thanks in advance.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey Guys, this may be a silly question but I was wondering if I will need an engineering certificate if I convert my holden vy v6 commodore to a v8 (ls1). I've heard from some people that I have too but then I've heard from others that I don't have too because some vy's come straight from the factory with ls1's in them (SS). Anyway. Long story short, vy v6 conversion to vy v8. Do I need an engineering certificate? Thanks in advance.

Yes

1- characters

Jaiden2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy v6 commodore
No worries. Any idea how much it'll cost roughly?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You would have to ask a Local.
I have an idea of NZ pricing, but NSW could be far different.

I think that because V8 is heavier than V6, the expect suspension and braking to be uprated to suit, could be wrong though.

Why not sell V6 VY and buy V8 VY? same colour etc, except more power (and cooler sounding)

Jaiden2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy v6 commodore
You would have to ask a Local.
I have an idea of NZ pricing, but NSW could be far different.

I think that because V8 is heavier than V6, the expect suspension and braking to be uprated to suit, could be wrong though.

Why not sell V6 VY and buy V8 VY? same colour etc, except more power (and cooler sounding)

Finance mate. I've got it for another 2-3 years yet + I've developed a special bond with the car haha yeah I know about the springs and brakes upgrade. Just need to find out how much the certificate will cost?

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The brakes are the same on both the V6 and V8. Front springs are slightly different due to engine weight.
As the chassis did not come from the factory fitted with a V8, even if you were to put every single part from a donor V8 vehicle, you would still need to get the car passed by an engineer. Red tape BS I know but that's how it is.
It would likely be a lot cheaper to sell your car and buy a V8 however if you are like me you probably love your car too much to do that. At least you can make an informed decision.

Jaiden2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy v6 commodore
The brakes are the same on both the V6 and V8. Front springs are slightly different due to engine weight.
As the chassis did not come from the factory fitted with a V8, even if you were to put every single part from a donor V8 vehicle, you would still need to get the car passed by an engineer. Red tape BS I know but that's how it is.
It would likely be a lot cheaper to sell your car and buy a V8 however if you are like me you probably love your car too much to do that. At least you can make an informed decision.

Yeah I'm thinking I might have to sell it mate. Costs too much for the engineering certificate. It's BS

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
might want to read up on nsw modification laws.

in vic, if the engine was an option for that vehicle, no engineers is required, assuming any supporting suspension/brake/exhaust/emissions changes are done at the same time. just walk into vicroads and fill out the forms.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
might want to read up on nsw modification laws.

in vic, if the engine was an option for that vehicle, no engineers is required, assuming any supporting suspension/brake/exhaust/emissions changes are done at the same time. just walk into vicroads and fill out the forms.

This guy is spot on. Also if nsw is different, some places that have done the conversion before can sign off the engineering without need for testing.