Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

v6 vp berlina help needed

sparksy07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0ltr
hi all ,
need help!! Put new extractors on v6 vp after headder cracked now wont run properly ?
back fires coughs and splutters when under load feels like it wants to go but just cant revs and no go?
idles great and free revs fine.
checked sparks & plugs leads extractor bolts all good
any ideas ?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
oxygen sensor?

sparksy07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0ltr
thanks i will try that i will get a new one !

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The oxygen sensor wont cause it to run crook and misfire etc,even if its not working at all.Were the plug leads removed when you did the manifold.Id check to make sure they are on the right cylinder numbers.If they are silicon type plug leads,they can be easily broken if pulled too hard whilst removing them from the plugs or getting them kinked tightly,when I say broken,I mean it can break the carbon core inside the lead which makes the lead useless under load,it will just cause a misfire under load or power.It really doesnt take much force to break the carbon core, especially if they are a bit old.Ive done it a couple of times over the years..

KiwiHoldenDriver

Loud, proud Kiwi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Spec V6, Suzuki Boulevard S40
The oxygen sensor wont cause it to run crook and misfire etc,even if its not working at all.Were the plug leads removed when you did the manifold.Id check to make sure they are on the right cylinder numbers.If they are silicon type plug leads,they can be easily broken if pulled too hard whilst removing them from the plugs or getting them kinked tightly,when I say broken,I mean it can break the carbon core inside the lead which makes the lead useless under load,it will just cause a misfire under load or power.It really doesnt take much force to break the carbon core, especially if they are a bit old.Ive done it a couple of times over the years..

Agreed. This occurred with an old Toymota my mum used to own. Idled fine but as soon as a load was put on it, it misfired until the it was no longer accelerating then the misfire disappeared. Swapped out the leads and it ran as well as could be expected. Also check that the spark plug leads are firmly seated as there may be enough contact for idle operations but not for loaded operation.

sparksy07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5.0ltr
replaced the leads . but still back firing under load ?
could it be one of the coil packs?

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
leads on in the correct order,, kinda of an obvious thing but is something that i have done before when i was in a rush..