Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VR Commodore Starter Motor replacement question

stelf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Hi guys, my starter motor died today at work. Had an RACV guy come out to replace it but because I have extractors (pacemaker) he said it needs to be done at a garage, so I had it towed off. He said they will either remove the extractors or move the steering rack. I would appreciate a rough estimate on how much this will cost at my local K-Mart mechanic. I asked the mechanic when my car was dropped off but he couldn't give me a price on the spot. I don't know much about cars so I hope I don't get overcharged, and would like a rough idea of how much labor would be involved. Also how much a reco'd or new starter motor would cost. Car is an automatic sedan with a 3.8L V6.

Thanks for reading

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Shouldn't be any more then an hours work for a Mechanic. So whatever their hourly rate is (I'm guessing about $90 - $120an hour) plus whatever the starter motor will be. Got no idea on a reco'd or new starter motor.

stelf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Argh, just got a call from the mechanic. He said the starter motor will be $275 (for a new Bosch one) and 1.5 hours of labour. $425. He said you can get cheaper starter motors for $80 but they won't last. Just thinking I should have just bought a starter motor from somewhere else and pay the labor to get it installed..but I think it's too late now.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Wow its going to take them 1.5hours to undo 12 - 13 bolts. There is only 2 15mm bolts holding the starter motor in. The rest are for the extractors and the electrical connectors.