Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs LS1 vs LS2

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by sami_1985, Jul 19, 2006.

What motor for my car

1. V6

9 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. LS1

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. LS2

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. sami_1985

sami_1985 Guest

I have a VR Commodore Executive (you can see it in the My Ride section) and i am debating on the motor for my car and would love to hear what you all think

Sami

2. TheForgotten

TheForgotten only human......

Members Ride:
    VR EXEC
    never base mods on someone elses opinion, you'll never truly love the car

3. holden007

holden007 VRII

Members Ride:
    Subaru Liberty
    In the future, I'm going for a 4.2ltr stroker V6 with turbo:)

4. angelo.vs

angelo.vs Autobot

Members Ride:
    Honda Accord Euro Luxury
    LS1. Unless you have at least 10k I wouldnt bother with the conversion. Will be cheaper if you do most labour yourself though. Might also want to consider an L67

5. Shounak

Shounak The Kicking Horse

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
    Depends on the cash you have...

Plus you gotta put the right tranny in.. If money is not an issue, obviously go the LS2. It's a monster..

6. corvette_tpi

corvette_tpi Guest

You might also want to consider a Chev 350 T.P.I engine. These are the Tuned Port Injection engines that were in Corvettes and Camaros. They are seriously good engines. I have one that is fully rebuilt sitting in my garage that i was going to put into my VP that has a Brock Touring Car Bodykit. I am not going to put the engine in as my plans have changed. I have the rebiult engine with most accessories including mirotec e.c.u and the corvette facrory e.c.u, alternator, wiring harness, dizzy & coil etc. I also have a VS V8 T700 auto transmission that has been rebuit with a full manual shift kit, corvette servos, it is an incredible gearbox. The transmission comes with a new Dominatopr 2500 r.p.m stall convertor.

I am about to advertise this for sale, it will be going for a bargain of a price, anyone that is interested can contact me on samtilley2006@hotmail.com. If you want a truly different awesome engine that is in corvettes get in quick as this will sell quickly.

7. burnz

burnz dah dut dut da dah

Members Ride:
    VFII SS ute
    i didn't vote
    because i think 5.0 would be the best bet for your make of car

8. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Wagoon
    I have recently bought a 6 speed VX SS. My previous car (still have it haven't advertised it yet) is a VS series 2 5 speed exhaust, extractors, cai and a bigger throttle body.

The LS1 shits all over it. The vs had great take off and is quick, but the LS1 has heaps more grunt in the high rev range. My vs would probably beat it to 20-30km but after that, bye bye.

I cant wait to mod this thing.:w00t:

9. sami_1985

sami_1985 Guest

Thanks for the feedback but I was just curious as to see what you guys would do in my position in the end its my money and of course i will do what i want i was just asking what you's would do

10. sami_1985

sami_1985 Guest

And what price range are we looking at here?????

11. corvette_tpi

corvette_tpi Guest

I am going to be selling it for between $5,000 - $6,000 for the whole lot. The engine is a Vortec 350 Chev with the Tuned Port Injection top end. Anyone let me know if they are interested.

12. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    I'd go the LS2, but i think you'd have some issues fitting in the transmission and the engine itself. Just remember the LS2 has almost all of it's torque available at initial acceleration. Quite impressive.

13. sami_1985

sami_1985 Guest

What do you mean issues?? thanks for your input aswell

14. Torquen

Torquen Boost FTW

Members Ride:
    450+ HP FORD XR6T
    LS2 would be best but as Kill_9 stated fitting it could be a bitch. LS1 is a fairly uncomplicated swap and its been done befor. out of interet has anyone or does anybody know anyone who has fitted a LS2 into a VR/VS??

15. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    LS2 is like exact same exterior dimensions as the LS1.. It should be no harder getting the actual engine in than an LS1...

If you have the money go an LS2!

16. vztrt

vztrt New Member

Members Ride:
    VXII Exec
    If you wanna do mods the LS1 has a big jump on development, depend how long you wanna wait as the LS1 has a proven record.

17. hayds_12

hayds_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Series 2
    nothing beats a 5.0L v8 out of a vs with the right exaust it is the nicest thing to listen to its garunteed to fit easier to insure. mods arnt to expensive and with the money you save on buying the 5L over the ls2 supercharge it (or turbo which eva one takes your fancy) and all sorts of other mods. thats a quick ride and a nasty rumbly idle

18. sami_1985

sami_1985 Guest

How much does a V8 out of a vs going to cost? IM all about the options at the moment and prices help too!!!!

19. hayds_12

hayds_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Series 2
    i couldnt find a vs 5L but i found a vt 5L on http://www.proactionspares.com.au/specials.htm and its specs are -
    Brand New in the crate - VT HSV 5.0 litre 195KW Complete Engine!- Including water pump, oil pump, injection intake with injectors, distributor and leads. Use as injection engine or carburettor setup. Now $5,000. doesnt sound bad might even consider it myself.

20. hayds_12

hayds_12 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Series 2
    GENIII Motors, Brand new still in box from factory, Complete LSI motors as per picture. Wiring looms / Computors etc also available., $5350.00

6.00 lt LS2 Complete crate motor, brand new still in box. As fitted to VZ H.S.V. 297kw. Wiring looms / Computors etc also available., $7500.00

BRAND NEW 5.0ltV8, Holden V8 EFI, VS 5.0lt brand new still in box from factory, complete with starter / EFI / dizzy / water pump / leads / coil / inlet manifold / injectors / oil pump / exhaust manifolds / etc., $4150.00

thats all brand new stuff from Bay City Holden Spare Parts in Frankston Vic i spose second hand stuff would be resonably cheaper but good luck finding a second hand ls2 cheaper than $7500 mmmmm 297kw mayb ls2 is plausable depends on how well it fits and with how much customization and at what cost. also how well will the drivetrain handle it.