Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs. V8 Engine Mounts

luciv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina
I'm dropping an L76 V8 into a VYII Berlina which came with the standard 3.8L V6.

The V8 is rear-sumped (came from the US) so doesn't fit due to hitting cross-member and steering rack; I have a front-sump on order. It will take 3+ weeks as back-ordered.

The V6 is already out of the car and the V8 hanging in the engine bay. What I want to know is if the engine mount locations on the chassis of the VY are the same for the V6 and V8? If so, I can remove my rear-sump pan and fit the engine while I wait for the new sump. However, if the engine mounts on the chassis are in a different place I'll need to wait for the sump to properly locate the engine. Anyone know?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I dont know the diff of the mounts, though I have to ask are you mock/trial fitting it? because you need the engine out to fit the sump anyhow, so no point putting it in till you get your sump.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
i'd hazzard a guess not, i'd also say the k frame is different on the v8 to the v6

boucks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
yeah you need a different subframe dude. lol