Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
A few Rules to start this off.

1. Any abuse towards other members will result in an infraction or possibly a ban.
  2. Keep it civil, if the topic is going wayward it will be cleaned up without any prior notice.
  3. If anyone has a problem with someone else's post use the REPORT POST button.
  4. Enjoy a good healthy discussion.
Well i have noticed there is always little 6 vs 8 threads around the place so i figured lets start a heavily modded one that will not get out of control.

For me, i much prefer an 8, they sound better, they are much easier to get going faster, they don't use any more fuel when driven nicely around town and best of all chicks dig them :p

I have asked on here time and time again for people to show me examples of 6's in where there are 11 second NA ones getting around, no one is yet to provide with me this and people usually dance around the fact and go on to say how their car can beat LS1/LS2 variant cars no problem. Well thats all good and fine but before you do a comparison on how great your V6 is, do a true comparison.
To compare a any FI vehicle with a stock NA application is just stupid, it really is if i were to charge my Senator, i doubt any 6 would come close to me with a simple bolt on and tune.
Fact is, the 6 is highly limited and very expensive to really get going fast especially in our heavy Australian cars.
I know alot of guys here mod their 6's which is great it really is, but please do not keep comparing your FI applications to stock of the floor V8's it isn't even a comparison, instead, take it to the track and compare it with an 8 of similar mods, race it at the track and see how you go.

And last but not least torque....nothing puts you back in your seat quite like a V8.

PS: I could get more technical, but i won't, i think my post is pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Last edited:

Guru Spook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
For me it's sound, and grunt. Something a V6 doesn't have.

Yes it's quite possible to make a 6 (Even a 4) destroy a V8, but being the fastest isn't everything.

Usually it's a unfair comparison anyway. As if a stock V8 will beat a modified Turbo.

They soon back down though, when you strap a Turbo or Supercharger to the 8.

Last edited:

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Well I own a V6 because I just do. Its good enough for me now until I get a better car.

I'm only 21 so no need to hurry to get a v8. But I can tell you that my 6 is faster than most 4 bangers out there lol.

I prefer a V8 over the 6 any day but for now V6 will do.

In a year time (Late 2008) I probably can afford a low mileage VY SS. or hopefully VZ.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well I own a V6 because I just do. Its good enough for me now until I get a better car.

I'm only 21 so no need to hurry to get a v8. But I can tell you that my 6 is faster than most 4 bangers out there lol.

I prefer a V8 over the 6 any day but for now V6 will do.

In a year time (Late 2008) I probably can afford a low mileage VY SS. or hopefully VZ.

I think thats why most people modify 6's is affordability, although, i wouldn't imagine parts would be much less for the 6 over the 8, it would be the initial car buying price.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Well owning a 6 personally, i was going to supercharge and had great big plans. Ive thrown them out the window and im saving for a VS Clubsport, or even a VT series 2 5.7L.

My reason? I weighed up the price and gains of a modified 6 vs a stock/modified 8. By the time you get exhuast headers, rockers, cam etc etc youve racked up a couple of grand and your still getting nowhere untill you strap a blower to the side of it. With a v8, i can chuck a good exhaust and extractors setup onto it and be pushing 200kw (assuming this was done to the VS Clubby im saving for)

Compare the gains of the v6 with a exhuast and extractor package, cam, CAI, some head work etc etc with the gains of those same mods on a v8 and its absolutely mind boggling as to why i even thought about doing up a 6.

Sure the v8 costs a couple of grand extra, but you wouldve only spent it on a blower that got you just past a stock 8.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
Well it comes down to the old saying "nothing compares to cubic inches" of course the v8 will have it over the v6 in any application its like comparing apples an oranges. When you start modifying them the same way the v8 will still come out on top but i dont think people mod the v6 to have real biig horsepower car its more the fact that you can mod them to be very quick and beat alot of v8's an still have better than v8 fuel econamy and rego.
Our car is a good example it may be s/c but it is factory stock 180kw and can beat a 185/195kw v8 of the same year and still get 550-600 kilometers to a tank of fuel in city driving. supercharged or not those same v8 have more power and torque then the s/c v6, with the same money spent on mods the v8 will probably out do the s/c v6 in topend but the look on the face of those v8 drivers when you pull away off the line and they are left playing catchup is priceless.
Pricing for parts for the v8 and v6 are pretty much the same although some are dearer than the other for each the overall cost for the same level package would work out pretty close but power levels would be very different.

spxdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec Wagon, 02 VX Calais
I gotta agree, i'd much prefer an 8..

Minux, not so much cost in terms of modifications, but for a male under 25 there is a significant difference in insurance costs and police attention they draw.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well it comes down to the old saying "nothing compares to cubic inches" of course the v8 will have it over the v6 in any application its like comparing apples an oranges. When you start modifying them the same way the v8 will still come out on top but i dont think people mod the v6 to have real biig horsepower car its more the fact that you can mod them to be very quick and beat alot of v8's an still have better than v8 fuel econamy and rego.
Our car is a good example it may be s/c but it is factory stock 180kw and can beat a 185/195kw v8 of the same year and still get 550-600 kilometers to a tank of fuel in city driving. supercharged or not those same v8 have more power and torque then the s/c v6, with the same money spent on mods the v8 will probably out do the s/c v6 in topend but the look on the face of those v8 drivers when you pull away off the line and they are left playing catchup is priceless.
Pricing for parts for the v8 and v6 are pretty much the same although some are dearer than the other for each the overall cost for the same level package would work out pretty close but power levels would be very different.

Valid points, i still don't want to compare an Fi with a NA application, regardless of whether it is stock from the factory or not.

Rego, people pay less for a 6 than an 8? That would suck, in Vic it doesn't matter what your engine capacity is.

I gotta agree, i'd much prefer an 8..

Minux, not so much cost in terms of modifications, but for a male under 25 there is a significant difference in insurance costs and police attention they draw.

Very good point, one in which i had forgotten, insurance would be a super killer for a modded 8 under 25.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
One comparison I would like to see is the Litres/100k of these 12 sec boosted sixes versus the 12 sec V8's. I doubt that there would be too much difference economy wise. If anything I believe the V8 would be better.