Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
See I have trouble with this... At the recent L67 drag day at Heathcote what did you run? A 15.1? I know guys with similar figures to yours were running nearly half a second quicker in heavier cars? :confused:

Not trying to stir just curious thats all?
This is true. Was my first time out so was still getting used to it all. Also we had problems with my box hitting the limiter on the gear changes so I had to back off to get it to shift. So I had slower ET's but higher MPH then those cars. Also the L67's will have more low down torque, if you see movies of my car, due to the mods I have done, it is a slug below around 3000rpm so it's quite slow off the line.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
This is true. Was my first time out so was still getting used to it all. Also we had problems with my box hitting the limiter on the gear changes so I had to back off to get it to shift. So I had slower ET's but higher MPH then those cars. Also the L67's will have more low down torque, if you see movies of my car, due to the mods I have done, it is a slug below around 3000rpm so it's quite slow off the line.

I understand fully... I wasn't trying to stir hey.:thumbsup: The topic of this thread is why you like your 6 over an 8 or vice versa, this example is exactly why I prefer my L67 for day to day driving in the traffic, over an eight.;)

EDIT: dont get me wrong though I love the sound of a 5 Litre with a good exhaust hitting high revs... mmm aussie grumbly goodness

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I don't care either way really, im over commonwhores any way:p
Chev power all the way!!!

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
I would like to commend on a good reading thread. All is in order so far. Well from what i've read MOST people who own a 6 (and only a 6) would rather be driving an 8 if they could. I also mush prefer my current V8 over my previous V6(vn s2). I think that my lifestyle suites a V8 better, I am a car enthusiast and everymorning and afternoon I get to give my car a blast to and from work making the most of mostly traffic free environment.

I believe I would feel different on this matter if I lived in a large city where traffic constricts me, or if I traveled only 5k to work in a 60 zone. When doing 100km/h my RPM is 1900, seems a little high compared to the 5.7L variant.

In the end, I would like to put away my GTS and buy a SS to play and mod from, in other words, I won't be playing with V6's again.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no way known that those quoted figures could be right. I drove a military Calais from Sydney(Holsworthy) to albury and it used 11.7l/100km.

I am yet to drive a holden six that even gets close to the 8 for economy on the highway.

my VN V6 just returned a 9.9 over 500km and thats with 3.45 gears, with say 80/20 highway/city driving and on the highway i wasn't driving like a grandpa either if you know what i mean. i just can't sit behind the grandpa drivers doing 95 all the way

and the VS V6 was running at approx 8.5ltrs per 100km or better last time i took it out on a long trip also, again, not driving slow and that wasn't on flat terain either or driving like a grandpa

actaully i just can't drive like grandpa full stop

Minux, do you really think we can have a discussion like this without it going pear shaped???? I highly, highly doubt it......

I have nothing to add to this thread apart from each to there own.

Do whatever floats your boat and be happy!

nice, i too have both so i have the best of both worlds although the V8 has been of the road for a while now, but then, when i do eventualy get it going again i have lots of toys to play with (check pic at bottom)

See I have trouble with this... At the recent L67 drag day at Heathcote what did you run? A 15.1? I know guys with similar figures to yours were running nearly half a second quicker in heavier cars? :confused:

Not trying to stir just curious thats all?

i wonder, my NA V6 VN will do a 15.2 on a closed road with standard 14" tyres, with some decent MT on a properly preped track it would be in the high 14's easy for a 2.5" zorst and headers, LSD with 3.45 gears and shielded POD with CIA and SV tune. a standard 5ltr V8 just isn't that quick. power ain't everything when it comes to going fast... weight is also important.

lets look at it this way, 2 cars one a V8 the other V6, both have similar power, transmissions, brakes etc. the V6 is going to have a weight advantage. over a 100 laps of any race track i know which one should have an advantage. less weight gota mean better economy, less brake wear/fade and handle better. funnily enough there is a BMW racing category here in NZ, limited to a particular BMW model, it comes with both a 2ltr 4cyl and 2.5ltr 6cyl, otherwise the same car. now you'd think the 6 would win hands down at every race meet but it doesn't, at some tracks the smaller 4 cyls win???? (control class racing, stock brakes/trans/tyres, very limited mods)

frig, i sound like the ultimate V6 fan. i'm not, i'm a V8 fan like most, love that rumble. but just cause it's got 2 cylinders less doesn't mean it's any lesser of a engine, different pro's and con's would be the best way to describe it in my book.

why is it all those that drive V6's are bowing down to wanting to drive a V8

Flame away

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yes weight does make a huge difference. I raced mine exactly as it is driven, full tank of fuel, VX SS trim, Sigs on (heaviest HSV rim i'm sure), etc

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
sweetas - fuel consumption around town is 13.8 (5L auto) the 6 i used to have was 14.5 (3.9L 5spd), can't remember the exact figures for highway but i know the 8 had it over the 6 (by SFA though).

$1000 to spend...easy i'll get a blower to(2nd hand of course):D and still have cash left over to get other goodies.:p

bah forgot the other q's you asked...

im just over 6's altogether a mate has a super 6 and it sounds terrible, goes hard though but sounds like poo when reving high (JUST MY OPINION), a charged 8 sounds heaps better/tougher/orgasmic...

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
I think that my lifestyle suites a V8 better, I am a car enthusiast and everymorning and afternoon I get to give my car a blast to and from work making the most of mostly traffic free environment.

I believe I would feel different on this matter if I lived in a large city where traffic constricts me, or if I traveled only 5k to work in a 60 zone. When doing 100km/h my RPM is 1900, seems a little high compared to the 5.7L variant.

Well said, I travel 30kms (15 each way) to and from work. All of this is in 50-60 kmph zones, with around 20 sets of lights. So I get the most out of my L67 every day. I would find it a little frustrating spending the same amount (maybe more) on fuel( need I mention rego & insurance again) and not being able to use all my cars potential every day, by owning a V8.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes weight does make a huge difference. I raced mine exactly as it is driven, full tank of fuel, VX SS trim, Sigs on (heaviest HSV rim i'm sure), etc

same for me, with a full tank too, spare/jack etc and work tools as well and my heavy as 115kg ass

Misaprop

black betty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
my VX V8 Calais used more petrol on highway than the VT V6 Calais.

I drove down to Melbourne from Sydney and the V6 was between 8.2L and 8.4L per 100kms. The V8 would be between 8.9L and 9.4L per 100kms (unmodded). After exhaust, tune, wider and larger wheels, suspension and gts intake the V8 did not go down below 9.6L/100kms

V6 was deffinately better on highway for me. City driving they were about the same and the V8 sometimes a bit better, but probably because I tended to give the V6 a bit more. City driving they were both around the 14.5L/100 mark

Now driving a subaru liberty 3L boxer six with 6 speed manual. That thing is awesome on petrol (between 9 and 12L per 100kms) and is very zippy compared to either of the commodores. The closest commodore to the liberty was my old VN V6 Calais in regards to fuel consumption and zippyness on the road.