Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
How the hell do you have a heavy foot using cruise control lol?

Has nothing to do with a heavy foot, fact is the holden sixes are guzzlers on the highway.

Just curious, what does everyones 6 sit on rpm wise at 100? I know every 8 i have been in has lower revs at 100 than a 6..which in my guess would make the 8 more economical on the highway.
Not when you've got 3.9 diff gears like me haha.

When I had my v6 berlina on 100 it'd sit around 1250 rpm. V8 sits around 1600-1700.

I drove from Sydney to Brisbane in the 6 and averaged 8.2L/100km. No chance in hell I'd be able to do that in the 8. It'd be at least 10-11.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
sweetas - fuel consumption around town is 13.8 (5L auto) the 6 i used to have was 14.5 (3.9L 5spd), can't remember the exact figures for highway but i know the 8 had it over the 6 (by SFA though)

Anyone can pull figures out of the air, get some proof. Show a year where the quoted fuel consumption for the 5 Litre was less (city or highway) than the 6 cyl in the same model.:bang:

$1000 to spend...easy i'll get a blower to(2nd hand of course):D and still have cash left over to get other goodies.:p

If you can find a blower, fit it, with change out of $1000, and still have it able beat an L67 with the mods I quoted, I am sure we all would like to see.

bah forgot the other q's you asked...

Thought you might...:p

im just over 6's altogether a mate has a super 6 and it sounds terrible, goes hard though but sounds like poo when reving high (JUST MY OPINION), a charged 8 sounds heaps better/tougher/orgasmic...

I could almost agree with this...:thumbsup:

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
How the hell do you have a heavy foot using cruise control lol?

Has nothing to do with a heavy foot, fact is the holden sixes are guzzlers on the highway.

Just curious, what does everyones 6 sit on rpm wise at 100? I know every 8 i have been in has lower revs at 100 than a 6..which in my guess would make the 8 more economical on the highway.

Hey mate

I think my VY manual V6 sits on about 2125 - 2250rpm at 100, some where between there, dont really pay attention on how much it uses, just full it up when its under half a tank so yeah

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
If you can find a blower, fit it, with change out of $1000, and still have it able beat an L67 with the mods I quoted, I am sure we all would like to see.

we picked up an old powerflow blower kit for $800, fitted it to see it was running fine, it kicked arse would have given an L67 a run for its money!Granted we have spent a ****load more now to getting it running to its peak and running higher psi but a blower can be bought and fitted for less than $1000 if you are lucky :thumbsup:

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Anyone can pull figures out of the air, get some proof. Show a year where the quoted fuel consumption for the 5 Litre was less (city or highway) than the 6 cyl in the same model.:bang:
13.8 is what it is, it's now sitting on 14.1 because i was out flogging the **** out of it last night, give it a couple of days or a day and it'll be back to normal (13.8L per 100km), want proof come and have a look lol. thats city driving. same model i wouldn't know as i havn't owned a 98 vt calais (full optioned) 6cyl, i was going off the previous 6 i had....

well i already got most of the usualls done, slap a blower on it im sure it'd give your supr 6 a good run, but if your talkin stock super6 vs stock 8 with blower then do i really need to say which one would come out on top?
but your thinking super6 vs stock 5L with 1000 thrown at it well....lol super 6 of course, but $1000 is nothing (i spent more on my exhaust), why not 10k?:)

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
we picked up an old powerflow blower kit for $800, fitted it to see it was running fine, it kicked arse would have given an L67 a run for its money!Granted we have spent a ****load more now to getting it running to its peak and running higher psi but a blower can be bought and fitted for less than $1000 if you are lucky :thumbsup:

Thats pretty impressive/lucky I am sure you will admit!:thumbsup: As for beating the L67 with the mods I quoted it would be a close matchup and be very interesting to watch!

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
I drive a V6 but if i had the choice it would be an 8. The 6 potters are fine for a family car and even just day to day driving. But in my opinion you just cant beat that V8 rumble and the extra power on tap. But i wouldnt turn down a well modded 6 either.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Sweetas,

Whats the best time your car has done down the straightline?

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
13.8 is what it is, it's now sitting on 14.1 because i was out flogging the **** out of it last night, give it a couple of days or a day and it'll be back to normal (13.8L per 100km), want proof come and have a look lol. thats city driving. same model i wouldn't know as i havn't owned a 98 vt calais (full optioned) 6cyl, i was going off the previous 6 i had....?

I posted the redbook figures for both earlier in the thread (post 34) The 6 is better.

but if your talkin stock super6 vs stock 8 with blower then do i really need to say which one would come out on top?

Never said this at any stage.
but your thinking super6 vs stock 5L with 1000 thrown at it well....lol super 6 of course, but $1000 is nothing (i spent more on my exhaust), why not 10k?:)

:bang:Now you repeating what I said! I have never argued that the super6 will ALWAYS be faster. Everybody knows the 5L has potential. You just have to have deeper pockets to get it! Who wouldnt rather cheaper power? :confused:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I think we can all agree that at the end of the day, mod for mod the 8 will always have it over the 6.

Lets do real comparisons, LS1/2 vs super6...i know which i'd be betting on :D