Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
Sweetas,

Whats the best time your car has done down the straightline?

15.002 @ 93mph. Not real impressive for the power. 204RWHP. Box needs a freshen up, the band change into second is ****ed. Most of the L67's run mid low 14's with this power. I rarely see the track though. :thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
15.002 @ 93mph. Not real impressive for the power. 204RWHP. Box needs a freshen up, the band change into second is ****ed. Most of the L67's run mid low 14's with this power. I rarely see the track though. :thumbsup:

Sweet, im hoping the senator will do a high 12, at worse it will do a very low 13.

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lets do real comparisons, LS1/2 vs super6...i know which i'd be betting on :D

I totally agree, I have never argued that point at all. The reason I continue with the 5L vs Super6 is because there have similar stock figures as opposed to the LS1/2. :thumbsup:

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet, im hoping the senator will do a high 12, at worse it will do a very low 13.

:thumbsup:Thats impressive. I have a lot of respect for power of the LS1/2. But having driven a stock one, for my day to day driving I prefer the L67.

In saying that I prefer the exhaust note of an Aussie V8 over the LS1 though...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
:thumbsup:Thats impressive. I have a lot of respect for power of the LS1/2. But having driven a stock one, for my day to day driving I prefer the L67.

In saying that I prefer the exhaust note of an Aussie V8 over the LS1 though...

I posted an inside exhaust note from my car earlier in this thread...with work you can get the LS1 to sound good

YouTube - Y Series Senator Inside Sound

As for daily driving, drive a tuned LS1 auto with cam and 3000 stally..you will orgasm :D(used the auto as i have never owned a manual LS1)

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I posted an inside exhaust note from my car earlier in this thread...with work you can get the LS1 to sound good)
YouTube - Y Series Senator Inside Sound

I did listen to that earlier.. nice note, I guess its really just personal preference. ;)

As for daily driving, drive a tuned LS1 auto with cam and 3000 stally..you will orgasm :D(used the auto as i have never owned a manual LS1)

I would like to hey, once again, although that would be good, the rego, insurance and fuel would be the reason that I didnt choose it in the end.:D

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

but then again thats not going to be a cheap goal either. every engine has potential, it just depends on how many $$$ your prepared to throw at it.

you probably won't see much change out 10k if any. and on top of the original purchase price of the car that a fair whack of change. now lets say i had 15k to begin with. a nice cheap V6 VN 1-3k that leaves 12k + for mods. blower, some gearbox mods, wheels and suspension and i'm doing 13's as well, maybe 12's if i get it right

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
but then again thats not going to be a cheap goal either. every engine has potential, it just depends on how many $$$ your prepared to throw at it.

you probably won't see much change out 10k if any. and on top of the original purchase price of the car that a fair whack of change.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but for an LS1 to run 12s, I would have thought 5k or less would do it.

now lets say i had 15k to begin with. a nice cheap V6 VN 1-3k that leaves 12k + for mods. blower, some gearbox mods, wheels and suspension and i'm doing 13's as well, maybe 12's if i get it right

How reliable and driveable would that be compared to a cam only LS1, or in minux's case a Senator running similar if not, less numbers?

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie

you probably won't see much change out 10k if any. and on top of the original purchase price of the car that a fair whack of change. now lets say i had 15k to begin with. a nice cheap V6 VN 1-3k that leaves 12k + for mods. blower, some gearbox mods, wheels and suspension and i'm doing 13's as well, maybe 12's if i get it right
You can run very low 14's to high 13's with as little as an catback change on an LS1.

Cammed and a MAFless tune should get you into the 12's.

All up for around 5k you can get a good setup on top a VT SS LS1 you can purchase for around 11k if you shop around.

Yet it only costs about 2 grand more than the hypothetical setup you said on a VN and you have a car that is 10 years newer.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

It will cost me $1200 to run 12's all day in a daily driver. Give me 10k and i will show you a low 11 car no problem at all that can still be driven by granny to go to the shops. Show me a 6 that can manage that.

As for the purchase price of the car...well hmm i think its a no brainer that a VY of any model is hands down better over a VN, even moreso when it is a HSV. You can keep your Vn. Purchase price of cars mean crap, i can afford the car i have so why would i bother buying a VN?