Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
VL_5Speed, your post was deleted..i knew there would have to be at least 1...

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
Ok you do your cat back and 10psi with the $1000

Second hand parts.

HSV dual 2.25" cat back pipes $160 (have seen them cheaper)

Yella terra 12psi press on Pulley $120(+$50 tool hire)

1.97 FIT rockers $400

Bunnings CAI $30

Hmmm $240 left maybe cooler thermostat, plugs, leads, hi flow air filter, octane booster.

Would be definately interesting...

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Pretty simple here:

our 6- mum's taxi, daily driver, do the shopping in, plain old run of the mill six that is not as likely to be stolen, cheaper insurance, boring to drive, gets you from a to b.

our v8- the toy, heavily modified, fun to drive, goes fast, turns heads.

so there it is practical vs fun, both used for different purposes. I wouldn't personally bother with modding a 6 because imo no matter how you mod it its still 2 cylinders short. But thats my preference and I understand some people can't afford an 8 to start with so they have to make do with what they have.

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
I own a six, but not out of choice. Being at uni i dont really have the financial capacity to pay for fuel and insurance on a V8.

Given the choice i would take a V8 any day and as soon as i graduate i will be buying a SS-V. They (V8's) sound so much better than a six, and while im young and into cars i might as well enjoy the thrill of owning a V8 (plus the VE SS-V's look bloody awsome).

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Second hand parts.

HSV dual 2.25" cat back pipes $160 (have seen them cheaper)
Ahhh if we are using second hand parts that drops mine
Yella terra 12psi press on Pulley $120(+$50 tool hire)
Good luck running 12psi with a stock tune and no cooler
1.97 FIT rockers $400
I can weld mine up for less
Bunnings CAI $30

Hmmm $240 left maybe cooler thermostat, plugs, leads, hi flow air filter, octane booster.

Would be definately interesting...
Yes it would be interesting.......

Sweetas_VT_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
Yes it would be interesting.......

A few guys run 11-12psi(82 & 84mm) fine. I run 11psi with no probs. (Dont like hot summer days stuck in traffic though, can get a bit sluggish). Just gotta keep the octane @98 or better. There are still a set of FIT 1.97's for sale on L67Torque for $400. As I said it would be a good match up!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Can i join in this battle?

Dual 2.5 inch stainless cat back (in shed), pacey headers($300) custom tune $680, 3.9's in shed.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
See what my logic is in this thread is a comparisson of power improvement, not a total KW figure. For example, a blower on a V6 will fetch this amount of increase and a blower on a v8 will fetch this amount and then a comparison of the cost.

This is where i am comming from on this debate.

In this sense of looking at things the V8 is the clear winner, with mods yeidling a bigger increase in power than it would with the v6, for almost the same price.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
V8 all the way. Although just to be a little weird, I like the 5L more than the gen3. While the gen3 is vastly superior in terms of easy power, (12 seconds with bolt ons only is pretty nuts when you think about it) to me the 5L just has more character and suits my driving style more. Sounds like a real V8 even in stock form as well. :) So by that thinking, I can totally understand people who are into the V6, even if I'll never feel the same way.

It's not a commodore, but one of my favourite cars is a 3.2L V6 rodeo that the company used to own. They chucked a stupidly big exhaust on it so that what little low down torque it had in stock form was completely gone, but once it hit 3500rpm in 1st or 2nd it was wheelspin city. Bit of a pig to drive and definitely not a practical workhorse, but always entertaining. Crazy bloody japs and their idea of a ute, good example that not all V6's can be tarred with the same brush though. :)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
why did i choose my v6. well in all honesty, if i drove a v8 i would defently kill myself for being a tool, i would love to be able to sit here and say i can controll myself, but realistacly i wouldnt be able to.

ROTFL - gotta give that points for honesty :driving:

Reaper