Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
V8 all the way. Although just to be a little weird, I like the 5L more than the gen3. While the gen3 is vastly superior in terms of easy power, (12 seconds with bolt ons only is pretty nuts when you think about it) to me the 5L just has more character and suits my driving style more. Sounds like a real V8 even in stock form as well. :) So by that thinking, I can totally understand people who are into the V6, even if I'll never feel the same way.

As a street performer I am not a huge fan of the GenIII. As a race motor it is excellent. I had two of the things and found them very difficult to get off the line quickly although I suspect it is nothing a new bump stick, diff and tune wouldn't fix.

I love the 6.0 litre.

Reaper

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
I prefer a V8 ova a V6 anyday, though cause im 17, insurance was way to high so i went for a VY S V6, its got the features etc of a VY SS, just missing 2 cylinders, hopefully when i hit 25 ill get a V8, though the V6 will have to do for another 8 years or so for me, im slowly modding the VY, if i get a 7 second 0-100 out of it, ill be happy.

Fastest V6, ive seen would be this one, VT TURBO, 1/4 mile in 11.68,
YouTube - Turbo VT V6 vs S15

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I to was anti V8, didnt see the obsession... ive never even driven one!

however, im going to move on! Ive decided i want a VTSII Senator Sig, they are just mint cars! Not going to bother with the six anymore... it will serve me till i can afford the sig and thats it i suppose.

I dont really need a V8, but, why not... sound nice, go fast... thats enough for me

aZk.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I to was anti V8, didnt see the obsession... ive never even driven one!

however, im going to move on! Ive decided i want a VTSII Senator Sig, they are just mint cars! Not going to bother with the six anymore... it will serve me till i can afford the sig and thats it i suppose.

I dont really need a V8, but, why not... sound nice, go fast... thats enough for me

aZk.

Drive a V8 that cooks and you will never look back. I was thinking about getting a landcruiser TD as a work car late last year and my boss told me to stick with my V8 - it will do what I need it to well enough. So there you have it - I *HAVE* to get a V8 company car :yeah: :w00t: :yeah: Bosses orders!

Reaper

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
ok, to start great thread. looks like most ppl r keaping a cool headed sensible debate. as for my choice... there is no choice V8 all the way. reasons V8 would prob have better fuel econ than MY car (350km tank around city... just moderate/normal driving), sound better than a lesbian orgy and as some one else posted the girls love me :) power wise $ for $ mod V8 has got the wood over the 6 every time. as for choice of V8, im undecided... 5.0L for sound (gota love it), 5.7L or 6.0L for power. as for my next car toss up between buying a VR/VS 5.0L or going the VY SS. il have no $$$ for mods if i go the VY SS but it would probs be quicker... hard choice.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I prefer a V8 i prefer a V8's power, I also love a V8 sound nothing beats it..

But this for me isn't money and it isn't Worlds of torque from a V8.
I just really wont to make a V6 go fast and to it easy, To me building a quick V6 would be more satisfying then building a fast V8, Look everyone can make a V8 go fast, But few if any can make a NA V6 walk the talk, And that is why my preference at this stage is making a very competitive V6..
Now only in June before a bought my VT Berlina i walked in to buy a VTII Execitve LS1. I had my heart set on it i wanted it bad!, But unfortunately it was a little more damaged then i anticipated :(, So it's back to the V6 and my goals are making a V6 weapon without FI and without ripping the engine apart to do it. If i can do this i will be very satisfied, And my next car will probably be going on fuel prices hope they drop:) a V8.
I'm still cheesed off about the LS1 Exec it was a good idea for a sleeper:D.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
VL_5Speed, your post was deleted..i knew there would have to be at least 1...

???? I cannot give my opinion what I think of V8s and V6's?????

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
???? I cannot give my opinion what I think of V8s and V6's?????

Sure you can, but the comment you made

V8s sound better and sound powerful.
Holden V6s are crap and sound crap.

This is just not acceptable, we are trying to keep a decent thread going where people have a decent comment to make rather than 1 is good 2 is crap.

Perhaps saying, you prefer a V8 sound over the sound of the 6 and prefer the power of an 8...not sure, but what you posted was not appropriate for this thread.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
As a street performer I am not a huge fan of the GenIII. As a race motor it is excellent. I had two of the things and found them very difficult to get off the line quickly although I suspect it is nothing a new bump stick, diff and tune wouldn't fix.

I love the 6.0 litre.

Reaper

Haven't driven a VZ or a VE with the 6 litre yet, but I totally agree on the gen3. Apparently even just a tune and diff gears will give it a fair bit more urge off the line, but in stock form it feels very peaky.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Haven't driven a VZ or a VE with the 6 litre yet, but I totally agree on the gen3. Apparently even just a tune and diff gears will give it a fair bit more urge off the line, but in stock form it feels very peaky.

I found in stock form at track days i really needed to keep the revs up, if i could keep it over even just 2000 it was a huge difference. As you say, a tune on its own (nevermind diff gears) is enough to make it a different car.