Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 vs V8 Thread

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by minux, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Sweetas_VT_SS

Sweetas_VT_SS New Member

Members Ride:
    98 Series 1 VT SS Super 6
    Realisticly you should not be fighting with anyone, its a debate on an internet forum. Fighting is useless and just shows immaturity and narrow mindedness... If you have a point to prove or an opinion to express do it by using your brain rather than surcumming to some of the dribble others type.:thumbsup:

2. vt1538

vt1538 455rwhp LS3

Members Ride:
    VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
    The point is the V6 would run out of legs (pardon the pun) while the V8 would still be pulling away. The same way a three legged dog would tire on a run faster than a four legged one. Pretty easy really.

Julie likes this.
  3. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    i didn't mean it literaly, it's more an expression

4. Sweetas_VT_SS

Sweetas_VT_SS New Member

Members Ride:
    Indeed, now that you have almost completely changed what you said it makes more sense, not exactly relevent to the topic but never the less, most of the people on here are talking about their daily drivers and day to day driving, so even though what you say is to an extent true, it doesn't come into concern because most of us wont be driving around at the speeds that would prove your point correct.

5. pandaman

pandaman Aussie Muscle Fan

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    This is the main point you've made that I really take issue with. Your V6 is quicker than which V8's? Stock VH 253's? A sufficiently determined crackhead on a pushbike is probably quicker than one of those. You claim that modding a V6 is more economical than modding a V8. How so? Economical would imply that you are getting good value out of those mods. Example: getting a V6 to run 13's costs the earth, you need all the usual bolt ons, plus cam, headwork, probably a bottom end rebuild to suit the cam, top it off with a tune, and even if you've done most of the work yourself, you're looking at 5-6 grand. Whereas, within a month greenfoam will probably have run a 13 in an unopened VP 5L that he picked up for a few grand and spent around $800 on doing up.

They get that answer because it really is the most economical. You want easy grunt? Get an 8. Besides it really is a silly question, cars aint rocket science. That question often comes from the same people who want to know how to chop their springs and whether gutting cats is a good idea. In other words, people who you wouldn't want in control of a high performance vehicle anyway.

Good, because that's what you've got. V6's are good for what they are. Cheap family hacks. They are not fast, it is not cheap to make them fast and modifying them is most definitely not an "economical" practice.

6. immortality

Members Ride:
    take out the foam factor and it wouldn't be much quicker then a stock V8. even foam will say (as i've read him say in other posts) that most standard V8 (the earlier holden 304's) are slugs in stock or near stock form. the fact that foam can tune his own car saves him maybe $1000. he's done his own zorst so it saves him $300 there. did his own diff install so it only cost him the parts and that was at mates rates also. for the average joe off the street it would cost em o lot more to produce a car like foams VP

7. Sweetas_VT_SS

Sweetas_VT_SS New Member

Members Ride:
    I presume you mean N/A? A modded L67 is certaintly no "cheap family hack". Also most of the bolt on mods are relatively inexpensive.

8. pandaman

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    If they did all their own work, It wouldn't cost much at all to put an efi 5L into the 14's. CAI, dizzy twist, an ebay exhaust and maybe a diff swap would easily do it. Could probably get away without the shorter diff even. If they wanted to go all out like foam, there's nothing stopping them from learning how to tune. If a stock VN 304 is a slug, then what is a VN V6? Stationary? The VN V8's definitely aren't what you'd call fast, but it really doesn't take much to wake them up, and in the long run they will always have more potential than the 6.

I didn't mention forced induction as I was addressing the N/A V6 blokes. I quite like the super6's, plenty of potential and excellent torque straight from the word go. Pretty much the same things I like about my V8, except you've got more complicated plumbing. :D

9. immortality

Members Ride:
    whats the difference between buying a factory super6 or fitting a blower to a standard n/a V6. the super 6 certainly ain't a cheap option to buy normally

and there are many out there that either aren't interested in doing there own mods or just plainly have little to no knowledge about cars and engines let alone the foam factor

10. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    I thought this was 6's and 8's, Should years really matter? If so then why are we having this so called open discussion debate?. there's no **** talk or bagging one or the other engines so i really find your comment a little unwarranted.

11. AttaBoy

AttaBoy WTF?!?!

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    I feel that this thread is going to turn to another direction and get closed?

Simple - a V8 is better than a V6 in terms of torque and power output.

Now everyone happy?? LOL.... :D :D

12. sircruisealotVS

sircruisealotVS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    :rofl: you know what they say about bringing a knife to a gun fight....

anyhooo, there's not too many folks saying they brought a V6 because they actually wanted a V6. but i did. at the time when i was ready to upgrade a bit from my VN calais (this was about 2-3yrs ago), i put alot of thought into what i wanted to do, as i finally had some money and could build up something nice for my daily.

im a big fan of the VN-VP and VR-VS body shape, so it was always going to be one of those models i got, and after already owning a VP and a VN i thought a VS would do the trick.
    so when it came to deciding what was going to power the VS i thought id go a bit outside the square and instead of another V8 commodore i came to the conclusion that a V6 stroker which id read about newly coming out would be quite unique and interesting to work with.

so there it is, i said it, i bought a V6 because i wanted to. im not going to even try to reason or debate which is better at this and that and which one is "the best" engine, because that debate always goes around in circles.
    but i love my V6 and i love its individuality....i quite often get rev heads (and non-rev heads) asking me "what the **** is in that VS man? its sounds nuts".

13. HoldenMan7

HoldenMan7 Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
    Im just wondering (i know abit of the topic) what a modded Vt/X/Y, S/C would do 0-100, and 1/4 mile in, with bolt on's (exaust, CAI, extractors, rockers etc)??

Anyone know

14. pandaman

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    Any idea how much it would cost to bring a bog stock ecotec (let alone a buick) up to L67 standard? There are basic charger kits around for a few grand, but they don't include the heavy duty fuel system and tough bottom end of the L67 or a tune. Not to mention how much it would cost to get it complied and insured. All I'm trying to say is there are easier and cheaper ways to go fast, and one of them is to start with a base that has two extra cylinders as standard.

As for the super6 being expensive, a series 1 VT S can be had for around the 10 grand mark. Not exactly a bank breaker.

You're bringing up a pet hate of mine there. People who aren't willing to work on their own cars or at least learn about how they work shouldn't be driving modified vehicles in my opinion.

15. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    Of course years will matter, most people compare model for model, not model for model 10 years ago.

Do you see anyone comparing a current VE GTS against a VN V6?

Just curios as to what part of my initial comment you find unwarranted?

16. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    About the first 2 lines..

See if you were following the conversation it came from you would have understood the whole thing, Now another member spoke about 6's, quote below.
    My reply was about a middle ground between 8's and 4's we need it..
    Then another members quote.
    I can see a direction it's heading here.
    My quote to the members quote..
    there's the V8 power with 4 cylinder econemy.. The rest was just ad-ons but very true today's 6's are as fast and powerful as yesterdays V8's.. And we still drive yesterdays v8's and we still buy them there are more old V8's out there then new ones.. This was not the comparison you were thinking it was.
    It was not a model vs model for the ultimate winner, Just power ratings 0-100 of today's 6's and yesterdays V8's.. Because it made a point to a members quote.
    But out of curiosity, If we did a Comparison of a 1996 VS Calais V6 s/c and 96 VS SS Commodore 5lt would anyone object?.

17. Misaprop

Misaprop black betty

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    Should compare the latest models V6 and V8... whats the point of comparing of 11 year old cars?

18. Sweetas_VT_SS

Sweetas_VT_SS New Member

Members Ride:
    It depends on what stats you are comparing and of course what point you are trying to express? Doesnt matter what model 6 & 8 you compare, if you are arguing ultimate potential power & torque the 8 will win, if you are arguing insurance,rego and fuel economy the 6 will win. Wouldn't matter if it was the VE or VS.

One good point is that those 2 models (L67 VS Calais & VS SS) have almost identical power outputs stock.

19. PaRaDoX

PaRaDoX Because Racecouch...

Members Ride:
    none
    we ran a 13 in my brothers GTO monaro with 2 people in the car on a gtech (good strech of road)

drove that thing up to nsw and got 1100km out of a full tank (85L) same strech my v6 back when it was N/A and near stock got 770km per tank (63L) leaving about 10L in each tank when refilling

ive noticed the v6 auto sits round 1900-2000rpm @ 110km/h with 3.08 diff gears
    and considering i pick up my SS on saturday ill be intrested to see how it goes considering its the same auto box and 3.08 diff gears too, i reckon it will use less fuel on the highway beacuse it dosnt have to work as hard to maintain the speed, ie rev lower

still we have a VR v6 on LPG atm (smash repair hire car, for my mum whilst her car gets fixed from when my car got written off) and were getting 600km out of 60L of lpg, i reckon thats pretty good value for about $30 :p but then again we do 340km per day.. 5 days a week every week...

i think you'll find the older v6's were quick anyway due to the fact that the cars didnt weigh alot, newer models have an extra 500kg to tow soo most of the extra powa goes to just getting the thing going, new VE SS is pretty impressive with its time slips tho no wonder coppers love them

either way, the v6 is a good reliable, proven daily drive, as far as performance is concerned you need to do 1 of 2 things before you can even think about making more power, 1. boost it, 2. make it flow better (ie extensive headwork)

as for the v8? who dosnt love the sound, the extra torque and all round knowing that it goes brrrroooom! but is it practical for city driving? not really :p

stick a 4 banger on the highway and watch it guzzle the fuel due to that steep ass diff gears it has just to composate for the lack of torque, soo as i see it

4 banger = city
    6 cyc = suburbs
    8 cyc = buuush + outer suburbs

everybody wins :p, its not a question of which ones better.. its a question of which ones best suited to its application... unless performance is concerned

Full Spectrum likes this.
  20. angelo.vs

angelo.vs Autobot

Members Ride:
    Honda Accord Euro Luxury

I have never driven a 4 banger on the freeway that guzzles petrol be it an automatic or a manual (5-6 speed). Maybe the 4 banger you have driven had serious issues with it. I have been in a Honda Ballade (really old), 2006 Astra, Subaru Impreza and Renault Megane Turbo and none of them came close to 'guzzling'.